Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

PowerPoint slides sometimes don't appear in podcast

I record my lectures with a webcam and capture my PowerPoint slides as I talk. I then embed the podcast (MP4) version in my Canvas pages. This almost always works perfectly, but now and I again the podcast just shows me talking with no slides. Happened today; I recorded my lecture in 3, 20-minute chunks (all at the same time, same equipment, same settings): 1 and 3 were fine, but 2 had no slides. If I open the recording in the Panopto viewer, both slides and video of me are visible, but there are no slides in the podcast. I've tried changing the settings and re-creating the podcast, but with no luck.

Anyone else seeing this and, if so, have you found a way to fix it?

Comments

• Options

My colleague, Matthew, in our technology enhanced learning team helped fix this for me. I thought I might as well share the info here, in case anyone else has the same problem.

It seems that Panopto won't display your slides if it detects that you have used a copyrighted font (one that isn't in the public domain). In my case, I had accidentally copied the font when pasting text from another file. If you used the paste without formatting option (Ctrl + Shift + V or Cmd +. Opt + Shift + V on Mac) you will avoid the problem.

If you suspect this is your problem, you can check the files in use in your PowerPoint: Go to File > Info. On the right side of the screen, next to "Properties" is a little arrow. Click on that and choose "Advanced Properties", then choose "contents" and you will see the files in use. You can replace a problem font in PowerPoint by going to the "Home" section of the ribbon, then go to "Edit" and click the drop-down arrow next to "Replace" and select "Replace fonts".

Since Panopto can apparently detect this problem, it would be nice if it gave users a nice, friendly warning message, instead of just blocking their slides; I'm about to post that as a suggestion.