Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

How to add a slide at the beginning of my video presentation?

Newbie (first week) question:

I have a video (screen capture) presentation to which I would like to add a PPT slide at the beginning, while I'm doing preamble sort of talking. I figured out how to add the slide, but I can't figure out how to switch back to the original video after, say, 30 seconds. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

David A

Answers

• Options
    KathrynKathryn Administrator
    edited February 2021

Hi!

Did you also record video of yourself as the presenter (appears in the upper left side of the viewer)? Or just audio + screen.

I would need that info to make sure I'm giving you good advice! You can also post a pic of what your video looks like in the editor (if you feel comfortable posting that publicly), and I will be able to let you know the best way to edit.

• Options

Currently the video is screen capture with VO; only 1 video source.

Thanks for helping out this newbie!

• Options
    KathrynKathryn Administrator

Ok, first some info on Slides in the editor. Slides in Panopto have an insertion time but not an end time. The first slide in the slides stream displays until the next slide appears or until the end of the video. Depending on what happens when you try to insert a slide in the editor, this might be fine, or you may want to switch to using Add a Clip to achieve the result you want.

Either one of two things is going to happen when you try to insert a slide in the editor.

1. The screen capture gets pushed into the upper left corner of player. (This happens if you recorded with Panopto for Windows/Panopto for Mac which permanently joins the audio and screen capture when those are the only two things recorded.)
    2. The screen capture does not get pushed to the upper left corner of the editor, but now, two buttons appear in the lower right side of the player for switching between the screen and slides view.

If #1 happens, you would need to switch to using the Add a Clip feature to get the result you want. Record another short video that is just you talking over the slide on screen for the introductory section of your video. Then you can use the "add a clip" feature to insert your introduction video at the beginning of your current video. Instructions for how to add a clip are here.

If #2 happens, you should be able to continue with your slide. The Panopto player will generally automatically show the screen capture by default if it is available (not slides). So to display your slide on in the player, trim out the portion of the screen capture where you want the slide to display. Instructions on how to trim out one secondary video stream are here. When the screen capture starts, the player will automatically switch back to showing that on screen. In the lower right corner of the player, there will be a button for slides, and a user could switch back to looking at the intro slide at any point, but it won't be what displays by default.

Please let me know if you have follow up questions!