Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

How do we get a link to a Panopto MP4 download from a Moodle LTI activity?

We are trying to make Panopto videos that have been added to Moodle courses via the LTI - available as downloads, to Moodle users, in a native iOS/Android application. 

So far I have tried to use a combination of the Moodle APIs and the Panopto APIs. First to query the Moodle LTI activities and then use that information and the Panopto API to get links to the downloadable MP4 podcasts. 

Using the mod_lti_get_tool_launch_data Moodle API I can get the LTI launch data - however, none of that launch data seems to refer to any folders or sessions that are accessible via the Panopto API. 

Is it possible to get information from Moodle and somehow link that to the Panopto video download - via the Moodle and Panopto APIs? Or is there another way to achieve this?

Tagged:

Answers

• Do you just want a download link, or is it OK to display the player as well?

If it is OK to have the player, you could keep the item at the "Specific People" permission level, embed it using the LTI, then allow authenticated users with access to download it. That will provide them with a download button in the player.

If you don't want the player to be displayed, I would probably say the easiest way to get this done would be to follow the above, then just hide the embedded viewer element and provide the video podcast download URL (.../Panopto/Podcast/Download/[ID].mp4?mediaTargetType=videoPodcast). This URL will still respect entitlements, so users can't just drop it anywhere, but having the LTI embedded player on the page (even if hidden) will still add the user as a viewer, so the download URL will work.

You could add the current user to a group that has access to the video through the Panopto SOAP API, but I tend to try to use native workflows if I can instead of building out my own tooling.

• That's great thank you for the quick response. I will try that.  

One question, we really just need the download link, so do you know if there's a way of getting the video ID that's used in (.../Panopto/Podcast/Download/[ID].mp4?mediaTargetType=videoPodcast) directly from the LTI / Moodle without embedding the LTI?

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Richard Hill If you open a video's settings and go to outputs, you can right click on download podcast and copy the download link.

• Hi @Kathryn ,

Thanks for the response.

We're specifically trying to integrate the Panopto downloads within our smartphone app so students can watch offline within our infrastructure.

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Richard Hill Ah, I apologize. I just saw your most recent question and responded to that.

I'm not aware of a way to do this out of the box, but you might try posting your question in our API category. Our Dev team reviews questions there and will respond with any additional info they may have.