NEW FEATURE CONSENSUS: Let's move forward the REST API from V1.
TO ALL: It takes a village to move the API forward so let's start doing that!
- We(panopto users) need parity between the REST and SOAP APIs.
- We(panopto users) need to have a roadmap of the API and dates we can expect features to be added.
- We(panopto users) want to make fewer repetitive calls to endpoints to do scheduling.
These are all things which people expect out of APIs delivered by companies currently.
So after talking with our rep(who was great) it appears as if there is no API roadmap.
At our organization we create "tickets" which define the parameters of a recurring/singular meeting or class.
We create this ticket with
- Start Date:
- End Date:
- Start time
- End Time
- We create a folder if needed
- Day(s) of week in an ARRAY
Then we have to pass API/SOAP calls to Panopoto either 15 30 or 45 times to schedule or classes. For 33K+ schedules to be created this takes HOURS if not a full day(+) to complete and 33K SOAP Calls at about one a second....if not slower.
We should be able to BATCH these calls and make 1 call to your endpoints. Then on your end you could process this call and return the status of the X number of schedules we requested to be made.
This greatly speeds up the process and allows for only (in our case) 1/45th of the HTTP calls to be made to your systems.