Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Add a voice over

Hi,

Is there a way to either re-record or add a narration to a screen recording ?

It's nice to be able to record the screen , but often the voice need to be added post.

Thanks, Mark

Best Answer

• Options
    Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    Answer ✓

This isn't possible natively at this time, well, not easily anyway.

If you are currently recording content and you know you will need to replace the audio, if you record both primary video and audio, you will be able to quickly replace the "Primary" track in the editor by either recording a new session in Panopto or using a tool like Adobe Audition or Audacity to capture your voice. You could also use the free Panopto tool to get a file to upload (https://www.panopto.com/record/).

If this content has already been recorded, and you don't have separate streams (if you only recorded secondary + audio), it gets much more difficult to replace the audio. In that case, your best bet is probably to record a new session with just audio, download the podcast feed from the original, then upload that as a secondary stream. Not the most user friendly workflow, but I've done it in the past. If you have both primary and secondary streams, things get easier.

I believe there should be an existing feature request with support for a voiceover feature, but I am not sure where that is at.

-Michael

Answers

• Options

Thanks -

I think the easiest way would probably be to record the audio in the app, rather than upload a separate audio file and then sync them up. I hope this feature is added as my university does this all the time. We're trying to use the Panopto client for things like screen recordings, but in this case it will probably be easier to record the screen in eg Quicktime, and then if necessary add a narration in iMovie.

Appreciate your quick advice.

Mark