Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Deleted archived videos without restoring first

In order to meet the new storage restrictions we need to make it as easy as possible for end users to keep only the files they need. Currently only admins can delete archived videos right from the interface. Creators need to first restore the video and then remember to come back to delete when the video is available (which they are also not notified about).

6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Options
    Ben CohanBen Cohan Crackerjack

I agree, but there is some value in forcing the creator to restore first, as it's impossible to review them without restoring first. Otherwise creators could delete something, then weeks/months later realize they need something from that session they never reviewed before deleting. I know, I know .. we're all adults and babysitting and guardrails are annoying.

• Options

I agree that folks should be able to delete right from the archive, but I think instead of deleting immediately it should just be flagged for deletion in 90-days (like the recycle bin) or go into a queue for admins to review. We've had quite a few situations where someone has deleted something they shouldn't have and by the time it makes it to us it's too late to restore. Having a "Delete Now" button available to everyone is just going to dump gas on that fire.

Also, small note, but both the user who created the content and the person who restored the content should be notified when something is restored from the Recycle Bin/Archive. In the case of the Archive, it should come when it is ready to view. If this isn't happening check your site settings: (https://support.panopto.com/s/article/How-to-Restore-Archived-Content#hTargetInstance4).