Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Read/Browse/Search Archived Video Transcripts/Details

Right now, when an old video is archived, it takes time to restore it for the user to watch. For things like training, that might be fine. But when we are searching through lots of old meetings and discussions, we may need more urgent access to that information. It would be great if we had the option instead of restoring the video (which in this example, is telling me it will be available 2 days from now), I could have access to the complete transcript/captions/searchable content of the video without the video itself. Essentially the left panel in a normal video, where you can search for captions, discussions, screen OCR content, etc. This would at least help me to narrow down which video I'm actually looking for and restore it. Or maybe, I might find all the details I need in the transcript.

These data should be readily available since the search engine uses it to show search results for the archived videos, so maybe on the restore video page, there's a section below it that lets a user read and search through that video's metadata (without the video).

4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Options

This should at least be an option for Admins and Videographers.

The metadata and text you're talking about must be an extremely small amount of the total storage.

We actually had requested that when video were archived they leave a copy of the lowest quality/resolution video in active storage. It could then be used to preview a video before restoring it and finding out you restored the wrong video.

Restoring the wrong video costs Panopto money, and costs us time.

Panopto didn't seem super interested in the idea.

• Options

I like the idea of the low quality video being available too.