Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Automatic e-mail sent to viewers in folder when webcast starts/recording becomes available

We are currently looking into how to minimize accidental automatic recordings taking place in lecture rooms without students present being aware of it. Through this process we thought that it would be a good idea to make an automatic e-mail that would be sent out to all the students and lectures of the course that a recording is taking place. Unfortunatly it seems like Panopto does not have this feature, which is why I am creating this feature request.

The closest feature I've come across would be the "Remote Recorder - Notifications - Mailing List Notification Recipients". This feature does not work for us, as we would have to manually enter a list instead of getting the dynamic function of sending it to the students in the course I'm looking for.

1 votes

Already Offered · Last Updated

Comments

• Options

Folders do have a setting which allows you to send an email to anyone who has Viewer rights to the folder (This may actually be "at least" viewer rights so it may include anyone with creator rights).

If the session is not being webcast, this might only notify them when the recording has finished processing as opposed to when it starts recording.

If it is being webcast while recording, I would think it would notify users as the session technically becomes "available" at that time.

Do you have any sort of visual indicators in the room like "Recording In Progress" lights? Delcom makes one which works well with Panopto's Remote Recorder.

• Options

Hello,

Thank you so much for letting me know about this option. I will see if I can get a test environment and experiment a bit with this setting to see how it works.

We are working on getting visual indicators from Delcom. I'm happy to hear that they work well.

• Options
    Mackenzie BusbyMackenzie Busby Administrator

Hello @Håkon Sætre Strøm,

As Chaz has pointed out, there is a setting that should achieve what you are looking for. I will go ahead and mark this request as completed. Please feel free to reply to this thread if you have any follow-up questions.