Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

How to set up a single point repository for institution-wide videos?

I'm trying to find the best way to make all of our institution's tutorial video not just searchable, but also all housed in a single location that can be shared on our site's home page. The trick is that some of these videos are targeted for instructors while some are targeted for students. We do differentiate student from instructor accounts on the institution side, but both internal domains are listed as part of "My Organization" from the Panopto side. I've thought about user groups or department folders, but both of those we'd have to manually update users as employees and students change.

I'd like to have something like Panopto gives us. One for students and one for instructors. https://howtovideos.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Folders/DepartmentHome.aspx?folderID=4b9de7ae-0080-4158-8496-a9ba01692c2e

Any ideas?

Answers

• Options

For a non-technical solution, I would just publish both as playlists on the home page and let users self select the information that they need. This is what we do, and it seems to work well enough.

If you need to break apart the populations and have each get access to only the specific targeted content for some reason, there are some solutions, but none are going to be perfect IMO. The closest thing that you are going to get to an automatic process is SAML Group Sync. That will only come into play if you are using SAML as an identity provider for Panopto and that users are actually using that. If that is the case, you can have the provider send group memberships for individuals, then use those to give permissions to the content. If you don't already have those groups defined on your side, those business rules would need to be in place first. If you only have an LMS as the IDP for Panopto (or if you use local authentication), there isn't going to be a good way to go about building those groups based on login info.

If that isn't an option, the next best thing would be to develop a process to run periodically and update group memberships via the API. You would still need to have those business rules and processes in place, but if you don't have a SAML provider, the API would work.

• Options

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions! I assumed we'd we'd end up with a "good enough" solution. I will look into the SAML Group Sync options, but I'm assuming we'll end up with the playlists. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.