Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Separate Caption Display options for each output

Maybe we'd like to display captions in the web viewer, but have them turned off in the embedded viewer and/or the video podcast version? Would love the ability to make this coice either at session level or folder level.

1 votes

Will not pursue · Last Updated

Panopto has built captions to display based on the user's choice. We also will remember what the user prefers so that regardless of where they watch the video, we will remember that they like the captions on or off (and pickup with whatever setting they last selected).

Comments

• As far as I know, the display of closed captions (CC) is a user choice that's enabled at the player level at the user's discretion. The only way to force the display of CC would be to bake them into a video edit - which are actually known as open captions. The only way to not allow a user to view any CC would be to not caption the video.

• Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar

You can set a site level default for this for the interactive viewer in addition to the embedded player:

It should also be something that can be set at the folder level, but I'm not holding my breath on that seeing that the new "Transcript Download" is a single site level on/off toggle.