Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

Minimize Sidebar

I'm a student and I use Panopto to view lectures created by my instructors. I'd like to have the option of minimizing the sidebar within the browser page, because it simply gets in the way of the video, particularly when I resize the browser to anything other than a 16:9 aspect ratio. By default the sidebar is often taking up 1/3 of the screen, and in cases where the window gets resized, display of this sidebar is prioritized over displaying the video, meaning that the sidebar can occupy 2/3 of the window.

Additionally if there were an option to pop the video out of the window, or to use a "Theater Mode", similar to Youtube's, then the ability to focus on the video and the video alone could be increased, if the user so desires.

3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• This is a good request and should take little effort to add this functionality.

I know that the viewer can maximize the window at any time (theater mode) using the maximize button. However, I still believe that there should be this option specially for videos that don't have a speaker/presenter primary video on the top left. It could be just a simple small side tab that is minimized on the side margin and expanded as you click on it. That way as the student says, the viewer can focus on the video and only open the tab when he needs to jump to a section in the content section or do a search. But other than that, it could me minimized on the left side margin of the browser.