Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Unable to get session stats

Hi, I downloaded this panopto API example app from github https://github.com/Panopto/ViewingStats/ and tried to run it by entering our server name and my user credentials. However Its not pulling any data. I'm receiving the following exception

"The communication object, System.ServiceModel.ChannelFactory`1[PanoptoCollectAllStats.SessionManagement.ISessionManagement], cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state."

We use ADFS to login into panopto when I login to upload/view videos. Could that be the reason for this issue? If so is there a way to correct it?

I just want to see an example of how to pull session stats and usage reports in C# and see how it could work for us.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Anuradha,

If you are using ADFS to login to Panopto, then you may need to make some minor adjustments to the ViewingStats sample to use an external provider. The sample was created to be used with a Panopto login, and not an external login.

Our API does support using external logins. You would use the "AuthCode" property of the authentication object, instead of sending your ADFS password. You can find more information about this on our API documentation (https://support.panopto.com/resource/APIDocumentation/Help/html/44e5a0e8-7108-2784-0311-182d8f7965c7.htm).

You would need to modify the example in two ways. First, you would need to generate the AuthCode as described in the documentation I linked above. Then modify the ManagementWrapper.cs file in the example to replace any references to the "Password" property in the AuthenticationInfo object, and instead add the "AuthCode" property using the AuthCode you generated previously.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Options

Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. I see that it is generated as

SHA1(UserKey + "@" + WebServerFQDN.ToLower() + "|" + applicationKey.ToLower())

What here is WebServerFQDN and applicationKey? Where would I get these values from? is this based on Client ID/secret etc?

Thanks

Anu

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Anu,

The WebServerFQDN would be the domain of your Panopto site (for example demo.hosted.panopto.com). The applicationKey can be found on the Identity Provider settings page, which is accessible to site administrators. Since this sample uses our SOAP API, it does not use a client ID or client secret.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin