Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Authenticate to SOAP api basics

edited August 2020 in API

I need some help connecting to the SOAP api. A quick start tutorial would be much appreciated.

On the documentation for authenticating to the SOAP api the "AuthCode" is defined as:

Gets or sets the authentication code Constructed as SHA1(UserKey + "@" + WebServerFQDN.ToLower() + "|" + applicationKey.ToLower()) Required for external users that are authenticated with a bounace page. Not needed for internal users and external users which don't have a bounce page (ex: WebCT)

What is the application key?

If we go to the python soap example we find this:

'''
Admin auth info for making SOAP calls
'''
#username of admin user in Panopto.
userkey = "admin"
#password of admin user on Panopto server. Only required if external provider does not have a bounce page.
password = "password"
 #Instance name of external provider on Panotpo
providername = "MyProvider"
#Application key from provider on Panotpo
applicationkey = "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx"
#Name of the panopto server to add the user to.
servername = "demo.panopto.com"

The application key is from the provider of the authentication service I assume? In our case it's Okta. What am I looking for when I go to Okta? Is it a SAML key? The way the python script is Xd out it looks like it might be a UUID?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Just to make sure I understand this: are you saying that if you authenticate in panopto using another service (e.g. Canvas), then there's no way to use the SOAP API unless you have admin access?