Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Is it possible to give a user upload permissions via the SOAP API

I think I can see how to get and set system roles through the SOAP API, but is it possible to give a creator session upload permissions and a My Folder via an API?

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Robin,

We do have a function in our SessionManagement SOAP API that will retrieve and optionally create a personal folder ("My Folder") for a user. You can call SessionManagement.GetPersonalFolderForUser, and set the "allowCreation" flag to true. This will retrieve a user's personal folder and, if it doesn't exist, will create the folder if the calling user has permission.

Here is the link to the documentation for that function:

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Options
    edited September 2020

Thanks @Kevin. What about upload permissions?

• Options
    edited February 2021

@Kevin Baum - We're looking again using the api to promote viewers to creators, that the call above will do, but it's still not clear how to get them upload privs?

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Robin,

We do allow you to set a system-wide administrator or videographer role using the SOAP API, but we do not have an endpoint to designate a user as upload licensed or as a caption requester.

Out of curiosity, are the users you give a personal folder to through the API not able to upload content?

Thanks,

Kevin

• Options
    My understanding is based on the browser admin UI that creating and uploading are two separate permissions, but tbh I didn’t check the api as I haven’t done it yet.