Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Panopto Capture needs a "Pause" button

Alex ShchukinAlex Shchukin Whiz Kid
edited September 2023 in Feature Requests

We need "Pause" button during recording recording a video feed with Panopto Capture for Chrome Browser.

25 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2022

If you notice a mistake in a slide, it may take time to correct this.

If you don't stop the recording to do this, you must spend time editing the video. The servers also bare the extra burden of hosting long stretches of useless video (a waste of fossil fuels and added maintenance/space costs). If you do stop the video, you must spend time merging parts.

Pausing functionality is there in much simpler recording software, so I'm puzzled why this would not be implemented in Panopto Capture, an otherwise convenient tool.

• Options

How do I up-vote this on behalf of all of my faculty who are not going to come here to make an account to vote?

• Options

ABSOLUTELY!

And a hot-key - perhaps using the same one YouTube uses or Zoom.

• Options

Panopto Capture should have a pause button. This will allow users to manage content and screens in a more comfortable manner than switching windows on the fly.

• Options

A pause option would be a terrific addition! Let's get it done!

• Options

@Laura Tateosian it's also worth mentioning that because all edits are non-destructive, we also are paying for the portions of the content which have been removed. If an instructor recorded 30 minutes but had to edit out 10 minutes while they fixed something, we're still paying for the full 30 minutes.

• Options

@Chaz Barbour Yes, I don't know any details about the billing, since the university pays for it, but, yes, presumably, they have to pay more to store more. I hope this doesn't disincentivize Panopto for implementing the pause.

• Options

Agree with this. The Panopto application has a pause button, why not Panopto Web Capture?