Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Recording portion of the screen

Hi I am using Panopto, I want to know how I can record the selected portion of the screen rather than the full screen. 

Regards

Ramzan

Answers

• When using the standard Panopto Recorder (the desktop app) there isn't an option to record a portion of the screen. When using the Panopto Capture app, you can select either the entire screen, a single window, or even a single tab in your browser.

I would love to see a "punch in" function be added in the desktop app, where you can dynamically Zoom in and out on sections of a screen as you present. As far as what is available today out of the box, it is somewhat limited.

Something that I have done in the past is download the screen share video from Panopto, punch in with Adobe Premiere Pro (or Media Encoder if it is a static crop) then reupload the stream. It is quick enough, but I have a fairly powerful computer so the encode doesn't take much time.

Hopefully this helps!

-Michael

• Thanks

How I can use Panopto Capture app on my laptop or PC.

Regards

Ramzan

• That will depend on what has been turned on. We have the tool turned on here, but it is an "opt-in" thing so there is a chance that isn't available.

Here is the general guide on the tool: https://support.panopto.com/s/article/How-to-Create-a-Video-Using-Panopto-Capture

• that is not what I want. I wanted to have the portion of the screen to be recorded like other screen recording software's do.

• It would be great if Panopto can consider adding this feature. My friend let me use his screen recorder called Joyoshare VidiKit one day. I can freely drag the capturing frame to select my screen size and the video can be recorded in 1080p at 60 FPS. It is just so amazing that I really hope that one day Panopto can support this utility.