Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

How to start and stop through Panopto APIs

There are two APIs in Panopto Public API which I am interested in. But I would like to know if there are more APIs for Stop and Start as well because I would like users to start and stop the recording whenever they need. I looked through a few resources but I cannot find out those kind of functionalities except Record Now in Panopto UI like in the pics.

Answers

• Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Hong,

Are you looking to start or stop recordings using a remote recorder in Panopto?

If so, you can use either the REST API or the SOAP API to create new scheduled recordings and update their end times to start or stop the recording.

When you create a new scheduled recording, you can set it to start immediately rather than schedule it in the future. In addition, you can update the end time to be the current time when a user wants to stop the recording.

To use the REST API, you can use the Create Scheduled Recording endpoint, passing in a start time that is the current time, to immediately start a new recording. When a user wants to stop recording, you can use the Update Scheduled Recording endpoint to set the end time to the current time, which should cause the recording to stop immediately.

The SOAP API would follow the same process using the ScheduleRecording endpoint to create a new recording that is set to start immediately and use the UpdateRecordingTime endpoint to stop the recording by updating the end time.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin