Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Trouble connecting to the API

Hi,

We are trying to get a list of in progress webcasts from the API. Therefore we made server application credentials. And use these in Postman to prepare for the real application.

To get the data we are trying to use the procedure described on https://support.panopto.com/s/article/oauth2-for-services#hTargetInstance1. Step 2.3 succeeds and we receive an access token. Then we use this token as described in point 3 but the result is:

{

"Message": "Authorization has been denied for this request."

}

We get the same result on other endpoints we tried.

Can someone tell us what we are doing wrong?

Answers

• Hiroshi OhnoHiroshi Ohno Panopto Employee

Hi Ferry,

Thank you for posting your inquiry to this forum. It is difficult to tell the root cause from your description and we need traffic log to diagnose the situation. Because this is related to the authentication, we need private communication to get that information. I will reach you out shortly.

• Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Ferry,

I wanted to post here to summarize the resolution for this issue. The authorization denied error was caused due to using Server Application credentials. Since Server Application clients are not associated with a user, tokens issued by this type of client do not provide sufficient authorization for most of the API endpoints, and they should not generally be used. Switching to a User Based Server Application client solved this issue.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if you continue to experience any issues with the new client type.

Thanks,

Kevin