Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Ability to create more granular roles not based on existing ones

I would like to have the ability to create custom roles that are not based on an existing role. Is it possible that when I create a role there could be a list with all possible permissions (except perhaps only ones the admin should have) where I choose what permissions to grant in the role?

I am finding that I have a big request from management that the existing custom role procedure doesn't cover.

8 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• Options

100%! The pilot version of the feature was exactly what we needed. I still don't understand why the feature was cut down in the way that it was.

• Options

It would be great if we had a more granular experience when setting up custom roles. One example of where this would be useful would be to clone the site admin role, but strip away certain functionality. Namely, we want to give our Learning Spaces folks access to administer any and all Remote Recorder devices on the site but not give them access to all content, department configurations, site settings, caption providers, etc.

Right now, we need to either give them access to each device individually as they come online/get replaced (and with ~400 devices, that is a bit unsustainable), or we have to give them full site admin access which is less than ideal.

Another use case for having this more bumper-free custom role experience would be giving some higher level support people access to manage users, but not the ability to manage remote recorders, site settings, identity providers, caption providers, etc.

Another use case...we don't want department admins to have the ability to assign new department admins.