Panopto 8 Release Note
- Embed configuration options — Users will be able to customize the size of an embedded video, set options like autoplay or start time, and modify the video’s interactivity level, all from an easy to use UI. This will be available on the video sharing UI in the portal as well as on the video chooser experience initially within Canvas with support for other LMS following shortly. This feature is enabled by default and admins can turn it off in the site settings. Please see the settings section for details.
- Recycle Bin — All users with creator rights will now have access to the Recycle Bin feature, allowing them to view and restore their deleted videos. The Recycle Bin will also show who deleted the content and when it was deleted. Also for any video that is restored, the user who deleted it originally will get an email notification. This feature will be enabled for creators and admins by default and admins can turn it off in the site settings. Please see the settings section for details.
- Remote Recorder templates — Remote recorder admins can create customized device templates for each remote recorder, such as “record with video” or “record without video.” Users can choose their desired template for individual scheduled recordings. The latest version of the remote recorder client (v7.1) is required to use the remote recorder templates. This feature is enabled by default and admins can turn it off in the site settings. Please see the settings section for details.
- Powerpoint and Keynote slides download — Users can now choose to make their Powerpoint or Keynote slide decks downloadable within the interactive viewer. This feature is an opt-in feature and admins can turn it ON from their site settings. Please see the settings section for details.
- Simplified sign-in within Panopto for Windows — Panopto for Windows now utilizes a web-based sign-in workflow in the user’s default browser. This results in improved compatibility with SSO providers, improved security, and fewer steps to sign-in, especially for re-authentication use cases.
- Zoom integration (Oct 2019) — With Panopto’s updated Zoom integration, recorded meetings are automatically imported from Zoom Cloud to Panopto, making them searchable and securely shareable. Panopto intelligently selects the best video streams for each meeting, providing an optimized multi-steam viewing experience. The imported recordings also include the meeting transcript, chat, and attendee list. Admins can control the group of users whose meetings are imported, and can set the import folder for each user.
We have also enabled a couple of Beta features in staging. These features are not yet ready for production, but your feedback will help us improve them and get them ready for production use. Please give these features a try and let us know what you think.
- Panopto Web (BETA) — Users can record multi-stream videos from their browser without installing any plugins or client software. Recordings can capture multiple audio and video sources, as well as entire screens, specific apps, and Chrome tabs. While we continue to gather beta feedback, this feature will only be available to site administrators. Initially, it will be supported only in Chrome and Chromium-based browsers. This feature will be enabled for only admin users when in Beta, but can be turned off from site-settings.
- Video Preview (BETA) — Users will be able to preview videos when browsing and searching in Panopto’s list interfaces, so they can find critical information faster. The new preview mode allows users to watch their videos in-line wherever they are without having to go to a different tab. If they choose to, they can still open the video in a new tab or watch it as full-screen. If the preview mode is off, then the behavior for watching any videos is unchanged. The preview mode will allow users to more efficiently browse and search for videos, so they can access relevant information faster. While in beta, this feature is an opt-in feature. Admins can also choose to turn the feature ON in the site settings.
- Slack Integration (BETA) — Users will be able to search for Panopto videos from directly within the Slack app, and share them with channels and direct messages with just one click. If you would like to join the beta for this integration, please contact Panopto support.
Behavior changes and new features
The following settings have been added in this release:
- Enable Embed Options UI in Embedded Session Picker — This setting controls whether the Embed Options UI is shown in the embedded video chooser, which users see when embedding Panopto videos within LMS and CMS integrations. This functionality is currently available only for Canvas Integrations. This feature is turned ON by default.
- Recycle bin available to non-admin users — This setting controls whether the Recycle Bin is available to all creators in addition to administrators. This feature is turned ON by default.
- Email video deleter on restore — Setting used to enable email notification to the user who deleted a video when it is restored from the recycle bin. The email will contain a link to the video and information on who restored the video. This feature is turned ON by default.
- Enable video preview — This setting controls whether the “Preview Mode” button is shown to users. When a user switches to preview mode, they can choose to watch videos in-line, within the video list or to launch videos in a new tab. This feature is currently in beta and it is OFF by default.
- Remote Recorder Templates are Enabled — This setting controls whether remote recorder admins can create customized device templates for each remote recorder, such as “record with video” or “record without video”. This feature is ON by default.
- Allow Powerpoint downloads and external links — Specifies whether Powerpoint and Keynote downloads or other external links can be shown in the viewer. When enabled, content creators can choose to make their slides available for download. This feature is ON by default.
- Sort "Shared With Me" page by "Shared date" — This setting changes the default sort order for the “Shared with Me” page to list videos by the date they were shared, with most recent shares first. This feature is currently in beta and is OFF by default.
- Show "Go to Parent Folder" button in Embedded Session List page — This setting controls whether the “Go up to parent” button appears within the embedded video list page, allowing easier navigation into, and out of, subfolders.
- Enable Panopto Web — This setting controls whether users have access to Panopto Web, a browser-based recorder. Note: While in Beta, only Admins will be able to use Panopto Web.
- Enable email notifications for scheduled recordings without a connected primary device (AtRiskTemplateRecordingNotificationsEnabled) — This setting controls whether remote recorder notifications recipients receive email notifications when a scheduled recording cannot be started because the primary device selected in the template is not connected.
- Zoom Recording Import Failure Email Notification — This setting controls whether an email will be sent if a Zoom recording fails to import after three tries. Emails are sent to site administrators by default, and the 'Alert Email List' field on the Zoom Integration page can be used to send this to a specific set of people.
The following settings have changed in this release:
- SCORM Manifest — After this release, SCORM manifests will be made available for all sessions, by default.
- Users Can Create Quizzes — After this release, users will be able to create quizzes in the editor, by default. Customers who had disabled this feature prior to the release will not see any change in behavior. Please contact Panopto support if you need to enable or disable this feature.
The following settings have been removed in this release:
- Allow share emails from individual users — After this release, when a creator shares something with another user, the email notifying the user will appear to come from the creator.
- Enable Assignment Folders — After this release, users with creator permissions will always be able to create an assignment folder.
- Fill In the Blanks — After this release, users with creator permissions will always be able to use Fill in the Blanks as a question type while creating a quiz.
- Allow Uploading Captions Based on Edited Session Times — After this release, users will always be able to choose whether the captions are based off of an edited session or based off of a single primary stream. This configuration is available through a checkbox while uploading captions.
VCMS & User experience
- Added ability to send email notifications if a remote recorder device template refers to a primary device that is not connected.
- Updated the deleted video list on the Recycle Bin page to include the date when the video will be permanently deleted.
- Updated the embed player video controls to be responsive. This fixes issues where the controls overlapped at smaller screen sizes.
- Increased the uploaded PDF file size limit to files up to 100MB in size.
- Fixed an issue where a site setting was incorrectly labeled as "From email address" instead of "Reply-to email address".
- Fixed an issue in the viewer where notes could be cut-off in some situations.
- Provided a workaround to the issue where Panopto video chooser in Canvas integration was cut off on iPad. Please contact Panopto support if your end users are hitting this issue.
- Fixed an issue where an empty video shell is created when a new recording is started at the same time as a scheduled recording.
- Fixed an incorrect description for the "Alert Message for Recording Clients" setting.
- Fixed an issue where Recycle Bin search results filtered out scheduled recordings.
- Fixed an issue where content retention policies incorrectly flagged future webcasts for retention action.
- Fixed an issue where signing into Panopto using a direct link to the RR admin page failed.
- Video Preview is not supported on Internet Explorer 11, due to compatibility issues. Hence, it has been disabled and users on IE 11 will not see the "Preview Mode" option.
- Fixed an issue where the source folder name of a deleted video did not display "My Folder" when it was the user's personal folder.
- Fixed an issue where Keynote presentation files downloaded from Panopto will not open in Keynote.
- Fixed an issue where a site setting was incorrectly labelled as "From email address" instead of "Reply-to email address".
- Fixed several accessibility issues in the interactive video player.
- Fixed an accessibility issue in the embedded player, where it was not possible to use the keyboard to see video controls for an embedded video.
- Fixed an issue where icons were misaligned in the video upload dialog at browser zoom levels different than 100%.
- Fixed an issue where RSS links were not working correctly in MacOS 10.15 (Catalina).
- Fixed an issue where exiting full-screen viewing mode in Safari left the video controls in an unusable state.
- Fixed an issue on Safari where some player controls did not work after going full screen.
- Fixed an issue where notes in the viewer were cut-off in some situations.
- Fixed an issue where a caption request for a video in processing was sent even if there was insufficient money remaining for captioning.
- The Zoom integration now allows administrators to specify the users whose Zoom Recordings are imported into Panopto. This is done by adding users to a specific user group that the administrator can choose in the Zoom Integration settings page.
- The Zoom integration now supports importing recorded meetings for Zoom users who do not yet have a corresponding Panopto user account. These recordings are stored in a separate folder for each Zoom user, within the global Zoom recordings folder. When the user’s Panopto user account is created, their Zoom recordings folder is automatically moved to their personal folder.
- The Zoom integration settings page shows detailed logs in a separate tab, which contains information about any recordings that fail to import, along with other critical events concerning the integration.
- The Zoom integration now has faster turnaround time for importing transcripts for meeting recordings.
- Added ability for administrators to specify the users whose Zoom Recordings are imported into Panopto. This is done by adding users to a specific user group, that administrators can specify in the Zoom Integration settings page.
- Fixed an issue where Zoom integration failed during configuration when switching from one Zoom account to another.
- Fixed an issue where in some situations, the thumbnail for a Zoom recording was black.
- Added a configurable option "Copy course structure from LMS" to Canvas Integrations. Customers who had previously contacted support to enable this option will see no change.
- Added an option to specify using SHA-256 only, but not SHA-1 in SAML2.0 integration.
- Added the ability to specify a user group whose name includes comma in the Allowlisted User Groups field of the SAML 2.0 integration.
- Added the capability to provision Panopto folders for Desire2Learn course templates. This can be enabled from the Identity Provider configuration page.
- The downloadable “Sessions Created or Edited" usage report has several new fields:
- Stream Source: lists whether a session was created by Panopto for Windows, Panopto for Mac, Panopto for Web, the Remote Recorder, an upload from the Web UX, or a content migration.
- Approval Actions: lists the most recent approval action taken, along with who took the action, and when that action occurred for each session. The specific fields are: Last Approval Action, Last Approval Time, Last Approver Name, Last Approver Id
- Added the count of users with creator access to the System Status page.
- Added a UsageReporting API to allow downloading quiz results programmatically.
- Fixed an issue where the video analytics did not record changes in playback speed.
- Updated the search ranking algorithm, so newer videos will appear higher in search results.
- The optical character recognition (OCR) engine now has spatial recognition. This allows us to recognize text blocks even in complex PowerPoint slides and screen content with animations.
- Search results from optical character recognition (OCR) will now provide surrounding text to help users more easily identify the point in a video they need to see.
- Added thumbnail URL information in the response for session search REST API (/api/v1/sessions/search).