Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

AddMembersToExternalGroup (Date: 2018-10-24)

Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Original Post by Justin Lubbert, Moderator, October 24, 2018 at 8:54 AM

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty with the AddMembersToExternalGroup API call. I can successfully add members to a viewer group but not the creators (I'm trying to add Canvas teachers -> Panopto Creators). As indicated, we are using Canvas as our VLE. Here are my steps:

Get authentication object (c#):

PanoptoUserManagement.AuthenticationInfo authInfoapi = new PanoptoUserManagement.AuthenticationInfo()

{

UserKey = "USERID",

Password = "***"

};

And then

IUserManagement userMgr = new UserManagementClient();

Group [] groups = userMgr.GetGroupsByName(authInfoapi, "Autumn 2018 - PANU101 - Panopto 101::Viewer");

foreach (Group group in groups)

{

Which works (as does the same with Creator)

Next I get the userId for the user I want to add

string userName = "USERNAME"; // Is a teacher in PANU101 - Panopto 101

User panUser = userMgr.GetUserByKey(authInfoapi, "Canvas\\" + userName); // Has a Panopto presence

And if I find one (sometimes the users is not present in Panopto), I attempt to add to the group

if (panUser.UserId != Guid.Empty)

{

Guid[] userIds = new Guid[] { panUser.UserId }; //

Console.WriteLine("User ID: " + userIds[0]);

userMgr.AddMembersToExternalGroup(authInfoapi, group.MembershipProviderName, group.ExternalId.ToString(), userIds);

// Write out the Guids of the members

Guid[] users = userMgr.GetUsersInGroup(authInfoapi, group.Id);

Console.WriteLine(users.Length);

foreach (Guid user in users)

{

Console.WriteLine("User Id: " + user);

}

}

}

This works with the group noted but not "Autumn 2018 - PANU101 - Panopto 101::Creator". I suspect I'm missing something simple but I can't see it

Thanks

Simon

Responses

Hiroshi Ohno, Moderator, October 25, 2018 at 10:29 PM

Simon,

Thank you for asking this.

You could add a user to creator group by this API with some trick.

However, I am worried because you are using Canvas.

Panopto's Canvas integration updates group membership of those groups continuously based on Canvas's enrollment information.

Therefore, your operation via API may be dismissed.

I would recommend to discuss your requirement and possible options with your account's Customer Success Advocate before coding further.

Tagged: