Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Not Able to record screens or windows on Mac via Chrome

Hi,

A few instructors and myself who use Mac are unable to record screens or windows using Panopto Capture through Google Chrome even after unlocking the lock icon and ticking the box in System Preferences > Security & Privacy to allow screen recording. However, when we select the Chrome tab in the Screens and Apps option in Panopto Capture, the tab screen is visible in the recording. 

My IT team seems not to be able to resolve this issue, so I come here asking for help with this issue, and hope anyone encountering this issue has a way to work around it. Can you please indicate how we can resolve this?

Thanks much.

Charles

Answers

• Hi @Charles Coleman

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue you're having yet.

Can you provide a little more info on your settings and maybe some screenshots?

Are you using the latest version of Chrome?

Thanks!

• Attached are some screenshots. I am using the latest version of Chrome. I had to uninstall the chrome and reinstall it. the issue still persists. So I am stuck in a loop between a prompt asking to allow screen recording and reopening the chrome. You can see the chrome browser is being recorded when I select the chrome tab in the screen option. I used a different browser - firefox and I was able to record the screen successfully. However, I am trying to resolve this issue for another instructor who prefers using Chrome.

• This may not help but have you tried rebooting the computer?

• Of courses, I rebooted the computer a few times. I could confirm that a few Mac users in my department have this same issue.

• You may want to submit a ticket with Panopto support.

@Chaz Barbour or @Michael Espey have you seen this before?

• Nope.

What OS are they all using? Do the users have admin rights on the computers?

I would try creating a new user profile with admin rights and seeing if the same issue exists there. That should tell you if it's truly a local permissions issue.

If it does, I might try the Chrome Beta and Canary versions to see if it's specific to that version of Chrome. Older version of Chrome too if you can find one which still hasn't updated.

Use https://www.whatismybrowser.com/ to check OS and browser versions and log it all.

And I'd also echo the suggestion to contact Panopto support.

• Here is my versions https://whatismybrowser.com/w/T295DX3

I will have IT team to contact Panopto Support. Thank you so much for trying to help

• I haven't seen anything like this before, and I would certainly suggest submitting a ticket to Panopto Support. They've been a great resource for us in finding root causes for things like this in the past. I tried recreating this on my macbook but it seems to be working in my case. I will try putting together a better test later today and see if anything falls out.

If you do resolve this, please report back if you can.

• Hi,

I apologize for taking so long to respond. There were other things I had to attend to. I had time to play around today, so I recreated it after IT updated macOS versions (Monterey 12.6.2). Nevertheless, the same problem persists. However, I was able to get it working with the Chrome Beta I downloaded. As each window was previewed in the Screens and App, I was able to select one. The screen appeared in the video.

• Hi @Charles Coleman,

If you are still having this issue, I would be happy to submit a Support ticket on your behalf. This way, our team can further investigate this - please let me know either way.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait