Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Problem authenticating with Panopto

Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with the api, I'm in the first step and it's impossible to get a token.

I read the doc, and I use this :

To get a token for a User-Based Server Application client, make a POST request to the Panopto OAuth2 token endpoint: https://<server>/Panopto/oauth2/connect/token

I'm getting the next error: "invalid_client". I tested a lot of things as:

Auth URL: https://<server>/Panopto/oauth2/connect/token

Clientid: <clientid generated in Panopto>

Clientsecret: <client secret generated in Panopto>

Some idea? I just confused and I don't know what else to try

I tried too by adding in body as "x-www-form-urlencoded"

Thanks in advanced

Best Answer

• Options
    Jose MarJose Mar Tyro
    Answer ✓

Good morning

I finally got it to work. I have created the application as "User Based Server Application". In this way and with the following code that I attach below, the authentication can be done correctly and I receive the token.

This process will be executed automatically (by a cron), therefore security is not a problem for me, since the credentials are also configured in a configuration screen to which users do not have access.

I hope it can help someone, thanks to @Vegard Wallin for having tried to help me

Regards

Answers

• Options

I've double checked that the client ID is ok, the client secret is ok too, the return url is ok (without typos errors).

I'm a bit desperate because I don't see the error and I'm starting to think that it could be a problem with the environment... Is this possible?

Regards

• Options
  • Options

Reading this post (https://community.panopto.com/discussion/1208/rest-api-authentication-issue), I see that it mentions that you have to indicate the instance\username...

They created a user for me and they only gave me the username, which is an email... Could that be the cause?

Regards

• Options

Hi.

I had a working Postman set up to get an access token using the 'Server based user application' API client, but I switched to the 'JavaScript Web Application' one so I don't need to store or fill in a password to Postman. Below I show my setup which is working fine. The {{prod_implicit_clientId}} variable holds the API Client ID (secret not necessary). In the API client settings, I've entered https://oauth.pstmn.io/v1/browser-callback as an allowed Redirect URL.

When asking for a new access token, Postman will pop up the Panopto login page for authorization, and when successful ask if I want to store the token (which is valid for 3600 seconds I believe).

Hope it helps!

• Options

Hi @Vegard Wallin

First of all thank you very much for the answer.

I've tried by replicating your settings but I keep getting an error while authenticating and I can't authorize myself. The error is the same that I am getting is still the same.

Again, thank you very much for the answer, I keep investigating to see if I can find out what is happening

Regards

• Options

Hi.

I notice that the Callback URL in Postman is different from the redirect URL set up in the Panopto API client setup. If I replicate this I get the same error as you. As soon as I made them the same, it works.

• Options

Hi @Vegard Wallin many thanks!!

Now I can do some tests. I want to work in a server application, but for the first tests I can work with this.

Really thanks, I was stuck and can't advance

Regards

• Options

Hi all, I still stuck with the authentication.

It's working by using as JS, but I need login as WebServer Application... Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!