Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Auto Scheduling API and size quota error (2019-10-04)

Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator
edited February 2020 in API

Original Post: Jon Algate, October 4, 2019 at 9:55 AM

We have found that the folder name search shown below, returns a “ The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (65536) has been exceeded” error. An example is shown below.

This ONLY OCCURS when many recordings are in the folder being searched for ( in our case, something over 1000 recordings. These are short recordings – typically of 10 minute duration).

The first few searches for the problem-folder work OK, but at some point they start to fail and then searches for the problem-folder fail consistently.

The program searches for other folder names ( which have far fewer recordings ) before and after the problem-folder failures occur, without issue.

The problem-folder is on a Panopto server.

We have increased the “maximum message size quota for incoming messages “ from 65’536 to 524’288, to no effect.

We can side-step the issue by reducing the number of recordings in the problem-folder. The program then runs correctly.

We therefore believe that the issue probably lies with HOW the Panopto API searches for the folder-names.

Two questions result:

1. What might be causing this behaviour?
  2. Is the “trigger” the number of recordings, or the total data-size of the recordings?

Thank you for your attention…

Examples

The search:

response = sessionMgr.GetFoldersList(this.sessionAuthInfo, new ListFoldersRequest { Pagination = pagination, ParentFolderId = possibleParentFolderGuid, SortIncreasing = true }, search);

Example of the error text:

For the attention of developer: ERROR while scheduling recording: Syllabus Plus Record: ModRunCode: UPANOP-20-2#18SEP/1 Location:6X269_FR RecStartTime: 04/10/2019 08:00:00 RecEndTime: 04/10/2019 08:15:00.  Exception: System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (65536) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element. ---> System.ServiceModel.QuotaExceededException: The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (65536) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.

Responses:

Hiroshi Ohno, Moderator, October 4, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the post.

What I may suggest from this description is to adjust pagination parameter in the request, so that the response for such folder is divided into set of smaller size of responses.

If it does not solve the problem (or you already tried that but did not help), let us know.

Jon Algate, October 11, 2019 at 3:17 AM

Hi Hiroshi

Thank you for your reply. I have passed this to our developer who is going to look into this.

However are you able to tell us what the “trigger” is for this message? is it the number of recordings in a folder, or the total data-size of the recordings in the folder?

Thanks

Jon

Hiroshi Ohno, Moderator, October 31, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Jon,

I am really sorry that we missed your follow up question with some reason.

You asked what triggers this message. This message is triggered by SOAP API handling framework which Panopto uses. In other words, this limit is not directly tied to the number of resources which Panopto manages, rather more related to the raw data size which is sent from your application to Panopto server.

I hope this helps.

Jon Algate, November 5, 2019 at 5:33 AM

Hi Hiroshi

Thank you for your reply. I have shown this to our developer and he has sent me the following in response -

They say the problem lies with the amount of data we are transmitting. In fact they must mean that they are transmitting to us. We are simply searching for the folder name.

The question remains -

1) Why does requesting the folder name generate so much data that the response breaks the limit of the (quote) "SOAP API handling framework which Panopto uses" (unquote) when there are many files in the specified directory?

2) How do we protect ourselves from the possible recurrence?

Are you able to answer the above for him?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

Hiroshi Ohno, Moderator, November 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM

Hi Jon,

I am sorry to hear that you and your developer continue to have difficulty.

We need more concrete information to diagnose your situation.

I'd recommend you to reach out the Panopto support team through Panopto administrator of your organization. At that time, please provide the network traffic capture when the problem happens. That traffic capture enables us to reproduce the problem and determine the root cause.

Tagged: