Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Easier way to keep captions when replacing video (stream)?

edited August 2023 in Feature Requests

Hello!

We edit videos in Adobe Premiere Pro, export the video, and then upload the video to Panopto. Then we edit the automatic captions, which is a fairly tedious task if we have 10 1-hour videos. If there are mistakes or corrections that needs to be done in the video, I do the corrections in Premiere Pro, export a new video, download the edited captions, add the new video as a second primary stream, delete the original primary stream (which also deletes the edited captions), delete the new faulty auto-generated captions and finally, upload the captions I downloaded earlier (sometimes I may have to adjust those captions a little bit, but often not). There are so many things about this process that are time-consuming and tedious, plus in a busy day there is a chance of accidentally forgetting a step (like downloading the edited captions). Reading other posts I have realized that there is no way in Panopto to simply replace a video and everything stays the same, but is there a way to keep the edited captions without having to download and upload them? When I delete the original video, the edited captions are deleted as well.

Eric

2 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Comments

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Eric Kama Steinberg,

I connected with some colleagues. First, to confirm, you can download the edited captions and reupload them following the instructions in How to Download Captions and making sure to download the file using the "Download file" option listed in step 1.3., which downloads the captions as they appeared in the edited version of the stream.

That said, my colleagues and I came to the conclusion that your post is actually a great Feature Request - so I'm going to move your post over to the Feature Requests category for consideration. Thank you for describing this workflow with us, as it certainly helps us understand how organizations are using Panopto and allows us to work on making Panopto a better product.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait