Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Possible with just one link for multiple days webcast?

Hello,

At the university I work, we sometimes stream/webcast conferences, events etc. globally. If the conference lasts more than one day, we have in the past created one webcast in advance for each day, and posted the links for each day on a website or similar. We use RTMP stream with a Newtek Tricaster, and Panopto generates a server URL and a stream key for each webcast. Is it possible in Panopto to set up one "recurring" webcast that can be used for a, say, 3-day conference? So that we stop the stream at the end of day 1, and start the same webcast on day 2 and so on? It's kind of cumbersome to announce three different links for a 3-day conference, and some of the people who wish to watch the stream sometimes get confused which link to click on (even though we describe quite clearly which day each link is for). We also have to make sure we change the stream key each day, which would be a step we would prefer to avoid. If it's possible, how do we do this? And how do we do a final stop at the end of the last day? AND if this is possible, how does the recording of the stream become available for people to watch the stream after that days event is over? The way it works when we have individual webcasts for each day, is that the same link for the webcast is used to see the recorded webcast. Will a separate recording be generated each time we stop the recurring webcast, with a new link that needs to be published? Or would it work in some other way?

Best regards, Eric

Answers

• Options

Curious as well. I know this hasn't been possible in the past but no idea if that's changed.

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Eric Kama Steinberg,

Currently, there isn't a way to have one link for a multi-day webcasting event. There are some related feature requests for this; however, at current, we would recommend scheduling the webcasts in one folder and sharing the folder link.

I'm happy to add your organization as an interested customer for these related feature requests, which are listed as "Reuse URL (Recurring URL / Embed Code / Friendly URL for webcasts)," "Reusable stream key, Templated / global settings for creating an RTMP webcast," and "Allow viewers to see upcoming scheduled webcasts in the folder view." Please let me know and I'll add your organization to the list.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options
    Yes, please add my organization to the list. Also, I tried the folder link as described somewhere else, but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe there are some more detailed instructions how to do this for multiple RTMP webcasts?
    Best regards, Eric
  • Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Eric Kama Steinberg,

I'll add your organization to the feature requests mentioned above. The rest of your post, with regard to folder sharing, sounds like an issue that our Support team needs to investigate. To expedite this matter and make things easier for you, I will open a Support ticket on your behalf. Please keep an eye out for correspondence from our team.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Yes! This is exactly the feature we need aswell as any university I can imagine.