Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

How do users know that captions are auto-generated?

Is there a way that users (Viewers) can tell caption have been auto-generated?

I feel like this should be apparent as there can be inaccuracies and viewers may want to question words or terms. On YouTube, captions have an "[auto-generated]" notification so you know that they may not be what is actually being said. The Panopto user-interface says (not 100% accurate) to Creators, but there's no such warning for viewers.

If there is no way, I'll create a Feature Request as I think this is quite important!

Answers

• Options

Hi @Sebastian Pope,

My apologies for not responding sooner. At this time, there isn't anything that indicates when captions have been auto-generated. If you haven't already, I would recommend creating a New Feature Request.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Thanks @Caitlin McCabe

Yes indeed, there is now a feature request for this. I was surprised that whilst there is an indicator for Creators that the captions are auto-generated (who already know this 😄), there isn't one to tell the Viewers!

Thanks, take care.

Seb