Panopto 13 On-Premises Release Notes (December 2023)
| Headline Features
Portal Visual Refresh
A new design refresh brings a modernized look and feel to the main video portal and embedded folder views. User icons replace text-based username and help menu items, a clean and prominent Create + button is repositioned for greater impact and usability, and the search bar is now restyled and centralized.
Your Panopto site’s home page will now support multiple curated playlists as well as a responsive experience and easy-to-navigate video carousels.
Panopto’s native video recording applications can now be downloaded exclusively from the Create menu, where it naturally falls in users’ creation workflows; the download link in the portal page header has been removed, to reduce complexity and improve usability.
LMS Content Reuse
An updated version of “course copy” is generally available for all major LMSs: Canvas, D2L Brightspace, and Blackboard Ultra (coming soon for Moodle and Blackboard Classic). When a new course folder is provisioned in Panopto, each of our LMS integrations will automatically identify videos from the prior course or template course and will reference copy them into the new course folder. For more information, please see Learn more about Course Copy v2.
Video Reference Copies
Users can now place a reference to a video within a new folder, so it can be distributed to a different audience. Reference copies allow some settings to be overridden, have a completely clean slate of student-contributed metadata, and do not consume stored hours or usage hours. Reference copies refer to the original video’s streams, table of contents, captions, quizzes, and other elements of the timeline but allow modification of the video’s name, description, tags, access controls, and other settings. A user with creator access to a reference copy can convert it to a full copy just by opening the editor. A user with creator access to a reference copy can share it with viewers and those viewers do not require access to the original video. With this version of Panopto, all batch-copy operations will now create reference copies instead of full copies, including course copy, folder copy, and batch copy from the video session list. For more information, please see Learn About Video Reference Copies.
Student Video Submissions
In Moodle, Blackboard Classic, Blackboard Ultra, and Desire2Learn, instructors can now create assignments that request their students to submit a video recording. In Moodle, Blackboard Ultra, and Desire2Learn, students do not require a Panopto personal folder to create their recording or complete the assignment. Please note: Support for this workflow in Canvas will come in a future release.
Improved Moodle Provisioning
Admins will now be able to automatically provision an LTI-based folder embed for all courses, bringing Moodle into parity with the Canvas integration. Instructors will be able to more easily embed Panopto videos and folders via the LTI standard, within their Moodle course pages.
To improve accessibility, Panopto’s viewer interfaces can now automatically pause and read audio descriptions aloud, using machine speech synthesis. Audio descriptions can be uploaded or created in the Panopto editor. For more information, please see How to Add Audio Descriptions.
Find and Replace caption editing enables customers to find and replace all instances of an incorrectly transcribed word based on one initial manual correction.
Caption end-time support ensures that closed captions that specify an end-time will now be honored by Panopto’s viewer, to improve the user experience and accessibility by clearing the prior caption when it no longer applies, as opposed to waiting until the next caption is displayed.
Find & Replace
Captions can now specify an end-time
Multi-language ASR, search, and captions
The ASR caption and search language can now be set per folder or per department. This enables administrators to set the preferred ASR caption language for the expected input so that captioning can reflect the language used in the initial recording
ASR reprocessing allows customers to easily switch languages when a specific video was recorded in a different language than the pre-set default language for its containing folder
An update to the automated speech-to-text engine has improved ASR caption quality, across all supported languages.
Ai Media Caption Integration Improvements
Updated the Ai Media Caption integration to use a newer version of the Ai Media API. As the new API requires different Ai Media credentials, please contact Panopto Support for help in switching your existing Ai Media integration to the new version.
Panopto’s browser based recorder, Panopto Capture, is now available by default. Panopto Capture allows a user to easily record audio, video, and screens or applications. A user can access Panopto Capture directly within their browser instead of downloading the desktop application.
Mobile App Distributed Recording
Users of Panopto’s mobile application can now join and contribute video to an ongoing recording. This feature allows mobile devices to record a single event from multiple angles, with no special equipment required. Learn more at How to Join a Recording Using the Panopto Mobile App.
Panopto’s unique, AI-powered Smart Chapters feature automatically indexes videos with a table of contents by analyzing screen recordings. This feature will now be enabled by default to create video chaptering automatically.
Custom user roles and access management
Panopto has added several new user roles to improve organizational flexibility by allowing non-admin users access to key functionality at the site, department, and folder level
- Analytics manager
- Users with this role can browse and list folders and videos, view usage dashboards, and download usage CSVs. If granted at the site level, users with this role can request offline usage reports
- Caption Requester
- Users with this role can manage caption settings for folders and videos, request captions, upload captions, and enable folder-level settings for default content language and automated captioning
- Content organizer
- Users with this role can fulfill core content management duties, including: moving content between folders, copying content, creating folders, deleting folders, videos and playlists, sharing videos, viewing videos, and updating video metadata
- Viewer with link
- This allows users access that behaves like the current share function “Anyone at your org with the link”, but limits this to specific users or groups
Panopto will now also allow existing roles to be modified or duplicated
- Role modification allows customer admins to modify a limited set of permissions for each of the built-in roles, except Administrator.
- Role duplication allows customers to create a new role based on an existing role, give it a custom name, and then modify it to meet the unique needs of their organization.
Adjusting the optional capabilities for the Creator role
Granting users site-wide roles, such as Administrator, Videographer, and Caption Requestor has moved from the Info tab of the User settings modal to the Access tab. Added sections for Site and Department roles to the Access settings page for both users and groups.
Support for Browsers with Third-party Cookie Restrictions
The Panopto embed viewer and embedded video selector no longer have a dependency on third-party cookies, allowing them to function for users whose browsers have restricted the use of third-party cookies.
| Behavior and Settings changes
- Internet Explorer 11 will be blocked after this release. Once this change is applied, users who attempt to access Panopto will be prompted to upgrade to a modern browser. You can find Panopto's IE11 support policy here.
- Panopto for Windows (P4W) advanced login will no longer support 3rd party identity providers due to the IE11 deprecation. In P4W version 11.0, users will only be able to use Panopto's internal identity provider. For P4W version 10 or lower, the advanced login screen will not load correctly.
- When selecting videos in the VCMS session list, content creators will now see the option to batch copy, which will create reference copies.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for common actions used during caption editing, including pausing and resuming video playback, at the current caption’s time-point.
- Added the ability for the remote recorder service to automatically restart itself every seven days.
- While editing captions, line breaks can now be inserted by using the Shift + Enter keyboard shortcut.
- Introduced a new option for "Seek and variable speed playback behavior" to prevent forward seeking only, but allow seeking back to previously watched content.
- Added a button for caption editing help/guidance in the captions edit area of the editor.
- Improved the accessibility screen reading experience for caption editing buttons.
- The embed viewer close button on quizzes, YouTube videos, PDFs, and webpages will now reflect the language set by the browser, when a supported language is used.
- Minor French and Japanese localization improvements.
- Updates to ensure compatibility with Windows enforcement of FIPS.
The following settings have been added in this release:
- Remote Recorder - Linked Remote Recorders — This setting can be used to control whether the new Linked Remote Recorders feature is available for use on your site.
- Sharing - Social Media Links — This site setting can be used to control whether users can share public videos directly to Facebook and X (formerly known as Twitter) via the new sharing experience.
- Security - Use Token-Based Authentication for Embedded Content — Since August, Panopto has enabled the functionality where users can be authenticated using tokens instead of cookies when viewing embedded videos or selecting a video to embed using the embedded video chooser. This site setting can be used to disable token-based authentication. Please note, if you turn this off, user access may be impacted if the user’s browser blocks third-party cookies.
- When using token-based authentication, and attempting to access an embedded video, a pop-up may be required in order to sign in to Panopto. Users who have a pop-up blocker installed will need to select the option 'Click to sign-in' in order to complete the login process. This is not required for videos embedded using LTI.
The following settings have been removed in this release:
- Enable Delete for Admins Only
- This functionality is now controlled via an optional capability on the Creator role
- Folders - Ability for Creators to Add New Folders
- This functionality is now controlled via an optional capability on the Creator role
The following settings have changed in this release:
- Features - Multi-language Automatic Captioning and Smart Features
- This setting is now enabled, for all customers, allowing the use of multiple languages within a single Panopto site
- Features - Smart Chapters
- This setting is now set to “Automatically add to my videos”, for all customers
- Features - Viewer - Disable Seek and Variable Speed Playback (VSP)
- This setting is now called “Features - Viewer - Control Seek and Variable Speed Playback (VSP)”. Customers’ existing choice for the old setting was migrated to the new setting, so there is no behavior change for end users in this release.
- Sharing - Settings - Anyone at the Organization, Sharing - Settings - Anyone at the Organization with the Link, Sharing - Settings - Anyone with the Link, Sharing - Settings - Public on the Web
- These settings now control whether or not these sharing options can be enabled for various roles via the new Roles interface.