Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Why can students upload recordings to course Master Panopto folders?

Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid
edited December 2023 in Canvas

For a Canvas discussions assignment with Panopto video, students couldn't see a peer's video. I was able to trace the video. It was uploaded to the Master course Panopto folder instead of the course copy for the term.

It’s common that students accidentally choose the wrong assignment folder for uploading their video assignments. Often, they choose what's at the top for course selection, without don’t scroll down to find their course. 

What’s puzzling: 

1. The student had the option to upload to a Master course.
  2. The student is not enrolled in the Master course.

The question is, why did students have permission to upload to the Master where they are NOT enrolled in?

Could the loophole be in how the course is copied? Master course permissions are extended to copies all the way back to 2017 (screenshot doesn’t show); however, that’s for “viewing” access, not for uploading.

Additionally, I discovered in the assignments folder videos that go back to 2020. Uff!

Any thoughts?

Answers

• Options

Hi @Elba Rios,

This is something our Support team should investigate. I went to start a Support ticket for you on this, but see that you've already opened one.

If you have any additional questions or issues, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

@Caitlin McCabe , Thanks. After posting here I did create a ticket. I wanted to also make the community aware of this issue. This is a very surprising unexpected problem, as we rely heavily on assignments and discussions with Panopto video. Thank you!