Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Caption Navigation on Mobile or Embeds

We have recently had a question from our university's department of Student Disability Services that asks why the same kind of caption-based navigation isn't available in the mobile Panopto environment (or with embedded videos). Essentially, when viewing in the web player, a viewer can click on Captions on the left hand viewing menu, see all the captions, and navigate by the captions. This is a helpful feature for viewers who depend on captions. In the mobile environment (app or browser) or with embedded content (unless you "pop-out") there is no way to replicate this. The net result of this situation is that viewers who depend on captions have a different experience than viewers who don't.

I want to write here to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before I put in a feature request. I searched for existing feature requests and didn't find any, which surprised me. It doesn't seem like it would be overly difficult to add it to this bar in the UI:

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Brian Cole,

To confirm, caption-based navigation is not currently available in mobile/embedded content. This should be submitted as a New Feature Request.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait