Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

Ability to set expiry date (availability) for permissions on a user-by-user or group-by-group basis

Cole SamCole Sam Tyro
edited March 4 in Feature Requests

It would be great to be able to set an expiry for permissions when adding to either a session or folder. For instance, the ability to give an individual or user group 'viewer' permission to a video for one week only, without having to manually go in and change the setting later.

Other use cases:

-Giving 'creator' access to a folder for 3 days before it is automatically removed.

-Using a custom role to allow students to move sessions into a 'dropbox' folder until a deadline date, where the access is removed. Similar to the assignment workflow folder but without needing being linked to an integration module / course.

3 votes

Tracking · Last Updated

Please upvote this other post for specifically setting due dates on assignment folders: https://community.panopto.com/discussion/1006

Comments

• Options

Hi @Cole Sam,

Thank you for submitting this request! I just wanted to clarify that you were looking to specify these expiry dates/times for each individual user that you are giving access to the folder or session for?

You may already be aware of this, but we have an availability workflow that allows you to set a window of when viewers should be able to access content. This can be applied at the folder level for all videos or for each individual video. https://support.panopto.com/s/article/Publish-Videos-Using-the-Availability-Workflow

Please let me know if my understanding is correct about specifying this for individual users. Thanks!

• Options

Hi @Mackenzie Busby thanks for your reply. I'll have a read of the guide as I hadn't thought about using those settings in relation to what I was thinking about. However, I think the workflow you refer to is more about opening up access for viewers rather than providing the ability to create / upload to a folder for a limited period for a specific user(s). For instance if I had 15 students who I wanted to give a kind of 'dropbox' folder access for a 3 day period where they have the ability to create / upload to a folder (NOT view) before that access is revoked?

Additionally, yes, ideally we'd want to be able to grant this on a user by user basis potentially. For instance allowing us to give a certain user or user group creator access to a folder for a limited period, but without having to manually go and remove the permission later.

• Options
    Mackenzie BusbyMackenzie Busby Administrator

Hi @Cole Sam,

Thank you for clarifying this! We are tracking this feature and your comments for future consideration. I will make sure this post remains open, specifically for providing the ability to customize the availability settings on a user-by-user (or even group-by-group) basis.

In the meantime, please note that another member of the community has already started another post regarding this specific behavior for Assignment folders/Dropbox folders. Please find this at the following link and upvote it! https://community.panopto.com/discussion/1006/set-automatic-open-and-close-dates-on-assignment-folders