Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Caution when enabling ASR captions for non-English language (video or folder level)

Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid
edited June 27 in Canvas

I was testing ASR captions to Spanish/Mexican language. I forgot to revert it back to English/USA. A week later, I uploaded some meeting recordings for a faculty, and while I was making sure the video was processed and accessible, I was shocked at the machine generated translation. Had I not caught this, and the meeting recording was transferred to the course Panopto folder, it would have been terribly embarrassing.

Here's what I observed (and I'm fluent in Spanish).

1. Captions are partially translated here and there. Mostly, not translated.
  2. Translations are irrational, even when language is spoken clearly.
  3. Translation can generate profanity where none spoken.

Here's the Captions transcription:

This was a bit concerning, and I was relieved to have caught this.

If you use the ASR captions translation feature, with caution, especially if you are not fluent in the language. Professional translations might be more appriate.

@Caitlin McCabe - have translations been tested for accuracy and reliability?

Thank you?

Answers

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Elba Rios,

Thank you for alerting us to this. I spoke with one of my colleagues and they let me know that this is unexpected behavior and recommended that I open a ticket for you as we would like to investigate it. As such, I will open a Support ticket on your behalf and our team will be in contact with you soon.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,
    Cait

• Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid

@Caitlin McCabe, Thanks for the response. This post was mostly an alert and for Panotpo to do the exploration. Thanks.

Regards,

Elba