Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Remote recorder vs Panopto running on classroom PC in an University setting

I'm trying to figure out benefits to running remote recorder vs the full Panopto application on classroom PCs. Currently we have Panopto installed on classroom pc's along with the rest of the university software. Would a remote recorder system for each room also need to be located in that room? What are other universities doing?

Thanks much

Rob

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Rob,

Customers that prefer their instructors to have a hands-off experience will typically opt for remote recorders instead of the full Panopto application. The remote recorders allow Administrators to schedule recordings ahead of time so that the instructors don't have to do anything with Panopto. In our experience, over half of our customers are taking advantage of remote recorders for their classrooms.

Here's our documentation on remote recording, if you're interested: Remote Recording.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Hi Cait,

Thanks for the information. Are there more detailed recommendations for PC specs and configuration? At our university we currently have one in-classroom PC that is also used to record Panapto. However, we are finding that we are having to purchase systems with SSDs, 16GB+ of ram and 6+ core i7 processors to have successful Panapto recordings. We are finding that recording on most laptops is a mixed bag due to i7 laptop processors being throttled for thermal management and most not having more than 4 cores.

The stand-alone Panopto recorders that are made by third parties - would we still need one per classroom?

Thanks,

Rob Copeland

JHU

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Rob Copeland,

The machines you're using are definitely well-equipped for Panopto's remote recorder. The system requirements are the same for Panopto for Windows and the Remote Recorder. You can install the Remote Recorder directly on your classroom machines and leave Panopto for Windows installed as well - just know that you can't use them both at the same time. 

So if you have a recording scheduled on one of those classroom machines, and an instructor launches Panopto for Windows, that will prevent the Remote Recorder from recording its scheduled session. The appliances we offer through our partners are most beneficial when you don't have such powerful classroom machines or if you're relying on the dedicated capture devices within those units.

Let me know if we can provide any further assistance!

Best wishes,

Cait