Panopto 8 On-Premises Release (2020-05-18)
Panopto 8 On-Premises Release (2020-05-18)
This release contains all the new features and improvements that have been released to Panopto’s cloud environments since the previous on-premises release in October 2019.
For more details on new features, settings changes and improvements, please check out our release notes.
The following settings have been changed, specific to the latest Panopto on-premises release:
- Strong Passwords: In this release, the default for the setting Strong Passwords is changing from False to True. With this change, users will be required to create passwords of a higher complexity when creating or resetting passwords in the Panopto IdP. It will not affect SSO passwords at all. Administrators can change the setting to False if they don’t want their organization to require strong passwords.
- Enable Panopto Capture: Panopto Capture is disabled by default in the latest build of Panopto. This can be turned on using the setting Enable Panopto Capture; however, LAV filters are needed to process the media generated by Panopto Capture. To learn more about LAV filters, please see: How to install LAV filters
- HTTP Strict Transport Security (StrictSecureProtocol): This setting has been enabled by default, which means HTTP Strict Transport Security is now on by default. Administrators can turn this back off using the StrictSecureProtocol setting.
In addition to the above updates, the following settings are also applicable to this release:
- Enable Embed Options UI in Embedded Session Picker: This setting controls whether the Embed Options UI is shown in the embedded video chooser, which users see when embedding Panopto videos within LMS and CMS integrations. This functionality is currently available only for Canvas integrations. This feature is enabled by default.
- Recycle bin available to non-admin users: This setting controls whether the recycle bin is available to all creators in addition to administrators. This feature is enabled by default.
- Email video deleter on restore: Setting used to enable email notification to the user who deleted a video when it is restored from the recycle bin. The email will contain a link to the video and information on who restored the video. This feature is enabled by default.
- Enable video preview: This setting controls whether the Preview Mode button is shown to users. When a user switches to preview mode, they can choose to watch videos in-line, within the video list or to launch videos in a new tab. This feature is currently in beta and is disabled by default.
- Remote Recorder Templates are Enabled: This setting controls whether remote recorder admins can create customized device templates for each remote recorder, such as record with video or record without video. This feature is enabled by default.
- Allow PowerPoint downloads and external links: Specifies whether PowerPoint and Keynote downloads or other external links can be shown in the viewer. When enabled, content creators can choose to make their slides available for download. This feature is enabled by default.
- Sort "Shared With Me" page by "Shared date": This setting changes the default sort order for the Shared with Me page to list videos by the date they were shared, with most recent shares first. This feature is currently in beta and is disabled by default.
- Show "Go to Parent Folder" button in Embedded Session List page: This setting controls whether the Go up to parent button appears within the embedded video list page, allowing easier navigation into, and out of, subfolders.
- Enable email notifications for scheduled recordings without a connected primary device (AtRiskTemplateRecordingNotificationsEnabled): This setting controls whether remote recorder notifications recipients receive email notifications when a scheduled recording cannot be started because the primary device selected in the template is not connected.
- Zoom Recording Import Failure Email Notification: This setting controls whether an email will be sent if a Zoom recording fails to import after three tries. Emails are sent to site administrators by default, and the Alert Email List field on the Zoom Integration page can be used to send this to a specific set of people.
The following settings have changed in this release:
- SCORM Manifest: After this release, SCORM manifests will be made available for all sessions, by default.
- Users Can Create Quizzes: After this release, users will be able to create quizzes in the editor, by default. Customers who had disabled this feature prior to the release will not see any change in behavior. Please contact Panopto support if you need to enable or disable this feature.
The following settings have been removed in this release:
- Allow share emails from individual users: After this release, when a creator shares something with another user, the email notifying the user will appear to come from the creator.
- Enable Assignment Folders: After this release, users with creator permissions will always be able to create an assignment folder.
- Fill In the Blanks: After this release, users with creator permissions will always be able to use Fill in the Blanks as a question type while creating a quiz.
- Allow Uploading Captions Based on Edited Session Times: After this release, users will always be able to choose whether the captions are based off of an edited session or based off of a single primary stream. This configuration is available through a checkbox while uploading captions.
Improvements and Bug Fixes
- Improved quality of optical character recognition for screen text, leading to improved search results.
- Added support for long path names on Windows machines.
- Fixed an issue where the analytics dashboards failed to render for some international time zones around daylight savings transitions.
- Fixed a minor UI rendering issue on the department administration page.
- Removed the configuration option to have a combined worker process which performs both podcast and web encoding. As of Panopto 8, these two encoding workers will always be separate processes.