Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Panopto_upload User

A panopto_upload user is appearing on my Mac. How do I get rid of this?

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Laura,

This would be an issue for our Support team. I will reach out to your local Panopto administrator and our Support team on your behalf - please keep an eye out for future correspondence regarding this matter.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

I am having this same problem - just happened recently. I think I installed Panopto long ago and it hasn't been installed at least since the last OS upgrade. What is going on here? This seems super suspicious. I installed this when I worked at the University of Rochester many years ago.

• Options

Hi @Daniel Weix,

I wanted to follow-up and see if you were able to connect with Panopto Support or your local Panopto administrator about this issue. If not, please feel free to message me with the name of your current organization, and I'll be happy to submit a Support ticket on your behalf.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options
    edited July 2020

Hi All,

With permission from our Support team, I wanted to follow up with a solution here for anyone seeking it. As noted in step 2.1. in our article, How to Download and Install Panopto for Mac, "the installer needs to set up a new user account that is used by the background upload service. The installer does not take any additional action with this highest privilege even though the prompt says it may modify password, networking, and system settings."  

To remove the panopto_user involves entering a few commands within Terminal on MacOS - if you are uncomfortable with this, please connect with your local Panopto administrator or the Panopto Support team for assistance. 

The steps are: 

• Open Terminal on your Mac and copy/paste in the following:  

sudo dscl . -append /Users/panopto_upload AuthenticationAuthority ";DisabledUser;"

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Hide500Users -bool YES

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow 

HiddenUsersList -array-add panopto_upload

•  Hit enter on your keyboard and type in your Mac password. Note: Terminal will not display anything as you type your password. Once your password is typed out, hit Enter.
    • Restart your Mac after the commands have completed. The expectation at this point should be that the "panopto_user" account should be removed from the login menu.

I hope these steps are helpful - if anyone has questions, as always, we're happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

The second to last command resulted in a syntax error. Is there a a more up to date terminal command that will work on MacOS 12.3.1 on an M1 Mac?