Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

"Capture PowerPoint" records screen under PowerPoint presenter view

Hi,

I have been trying to record lecture using 'Capture PowerPoint'. Whenever I switched the PowerPoint to presenter view, Panopto would record my entire screen (slides + notes) instead of my slides. Is there a way to record the PowerPoint slides under presenter view?

Answers

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Jer Pin Chong,

The following steps might be helpful; if not, please let me know and I'll try to find a better solution for you.

• Prior to recording, make sure your PowerPoint presentation is open on your computer.
    • When you open your Panopto application, select Capture PowerPoint, and then select the PowerPoint tab that is located over the preview window. On this window, select the checkbox next to Start Presenting when recording starts. These are highlighted by red boxes in the screenshot, below.
    • If you are working with one screen, make sure to deselect Capture Main Screen under Secondary Sources. When you are ready, select the Record button. The Panopto application should minimize itself and the PowerPoint presentation will open. To open Presenter Mode on your screen, hover in the bottom left-hand corner of the presentation, where a series of icons will appear (pictured below). Select the circle icon with three dots in the middle, and then select Show Presenter View from the menu that appears. This will switch your screen to Presenter Mode, but not capture it in Panopto. Note: It should not capture the icons, or menu that appears when you are switching to Presenter Mode. In addition, it is worth nothing that it will also not show the use of the laser pointer, highlighter, or pen features in PowerPoint.
    • If you are working with two screens, your PowerPoint presentation will open on one screen and presenter mode will open on the other once you select the Record button. To ensure you do not capture Presenter Mode, make sure the screen on which it appears is deselected under Secondary Sources. Once you are ready, select the button.

As always, if you have any more questions, or are still experiencing an issue - please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Hi Cait,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I record the video using the setting you described and I encounter the same problem. My laptop has one screen and I did not select 'Capture Main Screen'. I found out that if I record only 6 lecture slides with Presenter View on, Panopto would capture only the PowerPoint slides. If I record more than 6 slides, it would switch to capture my screen for all my slides (including the first 6 slides). The length of the video didn't seem to matter, the # of slides was the key.

I installed latest version of Microsoft Office 2019 hoping it would fix the problem, but it didn't help. May I know if there is something else I could try?

Jer Pin

• Options
    Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi Jer Pin,

I'm sorry you're still having an issue - if you'd like, I'd be happy to submit a Support ticket on your behalf if you're still experiencing this. Please let me know either way.

Best wishes,

Cait

• Options

Hi Cait,

We found the source of the problem. The Panopto recorder captured the screen because of the animation embedded in the PowerPoint slides. That explains why it occurred randomly and unpredictable at first glance. After the animation was removed, I had no problem capturing the PowerPoint slides with Presenter View. Problem solved! Thanks for your help!

best,

Jer Pin

• Options

Hi there,

I am experiencing the same issue - when i switch to presenter view the panopto recording also shows my notes to the viewers - anyone any ideas? im using a single monitor laptop

• Options

@Rebecca Murphy When slide animations are used (when you change the content on-screen within a single slide) Panopto will take a screenshot at each change to capture the content. When this is the case and only a single screen is used, it will capture the presenter view (with notes, a timer, next slide, etc). When there aren't any animations, it just grabs an image of the slide.

The easiest way to fix this is to remove the animations and instead add in a new slide for each change. Instead of animating the content on a single slide, if you want things to appear as you progress, make copy the slide you need to add to then add the content to that new slide. It will be the same outcome for your students, but it will allow Panopto to work in the way you wish.

I was told that Panopto is working on a fix for this, but I can't imagine that it is an easy problem to solve.

-Michael