Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

First section of captions in video not displaying?

I’m having an issue with the closed captions on a video I created using Panopto in Canvas. After recording the video, I added the autogenerated captions and then edited them for accuracy. I can see the full set of captions when I’m in editing mode, but when I play the video outside of edit mode, the first frame of captions don’t display in either the captions menu on the left, or on the video itself. I downloaded the captions file and when I opened them using Notepad, the first frame of captions is missing there, but again, it’s visible in the editor.

I tried recording a second full take of the video, thinking perhaps it was an error with my first recording, but the same thing happened. I was able to download the "unedited captions" for this video, which contained the full set of captions. I deleted the existing captions file, and uploaded the "unedited" ones, but the video still won't display the first section of captions outside of edit mode.

Any advice you have on how to remedy this would be excellent!

Answers

• Some suggestions:

• make sure there are not edit cuts in the video
    • check the timings of the captions, in the past I have fixed some issues by changing the timing to display a second earlier. In most of my videos, I set the initial timing of the first caption to 0:00 so it will display at the start of the video.
    • Also, the captions first, then do the cuts later.

Good luck

• Thanks for the suggestions, Carlos. I just did another take: turned on automatic captions before recording, edited them and changed the timing of the initial caption to 0:00, saved the video, then went back and cut the first few seconds. Unfortunately the initial captions still aren't showing as the video starts, but are available in full in edit mode.

Not sure what's going on but it's really frustrating.

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Dianne Brown,

This sounds like it may be an issue for our Support team to take a look at. To expedite things, I can submit a ticket on your behalf - if you could send me a link to the video in question (over private message), I can include it in the ticket for our Support team to review.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to let me know - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait