Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

YouTube video is not playing when embedded in Panopto

I believe that I am doing everything right to embed the YouTube video into the Panopto recorder, but I can't get the YouTube video to play back in any form (and across different platforms).

Please help! I would love to actually talk with a technical support person, but I am assuming they do not exist?

Thanks!

Answers

• There are a few "best practices" for embedding YouTube videos into Panopto sessions. The biggest one is that they will only play back from the full Panopto player, so embedding using an integration (or otherwise) isn't supported. I believe this is on their roadmap to be supported soon, but I am not sure on when.

If you are playing it back from the Panopto website, I might recommend adding a title to the Table of Contents entry for the video so it shows up there when being viewed. Also, make sure you are hitting "Apply" in the upper right of the editor to publish your changes.

As far as being able to talk to someone, that will depend on your institution. I would recommend reaching out to the help desk there to get that process started as they will know who will be best suited to help.

• Thank you so much, but for whatever reason, I have done all these things and it is still not working. Maybe I will take a screenshot of the contents in case something is messed up there:

From what I can tell, everything is set up otherwise correctly.

• Paul, also check for the settings in your browser and Panopto regarding the resume play in videos. When I insert a video in my Panopto session, I don't include the Youtube controls, and it always start in whatever position I was before. So, if I play a Youtube video, that is 10 seconds long, and I last stopped that video at 9 sec. It only plays the last second and stops! It remembers where you left off, so if you saw it all before, it will probably not play. Also, I have to click on play on Panopto to keep playing your video. If it is not too much to ask, what is the YouTube vidoe? We can test it and let you know if it works.

As Michael said, embedded videos only play in the Panopto web viewer player, not the embed viewer. IF you can, check the Panopto URL being used and make sure it says Viewer.aspx, and not Embed.aspx.

• Hi Paul,

Before sending you to Support, I wanted to confirm if the YouTube video is failing to appear in the viewer, or the embedded player.

The video in the Panopto viewer would look like this:

The video in the embedded player would look like this:

Please let me know which of the above players has this issue (or if it's both).

Best wishes,

Cait

• Hello!

I am sure that the YouTube video is not working in the Viewer.

• Hi Paul,

That would definitely be an issue for our Support team to take a look at, then. I'll submit a Support ticket on your behalf and make your local Panopto administrator aware of this. Please keep an eye out for correspondence regarding this matter.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask - we're always happy to help!

Best wishes,

Cait

• I actually just figured it out--the Webpage following the YouTube video made the YouTube video not work. When I removed that Webpage, everything worked as intended.

Thank you though for all your help!

• Hi Paul,

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue! I've closed the ticket. Please don't hesitate to reach out in the future if you have any issues.

Best wishes,

Cait

• This may be an issue for Panopto engineers to take a look at. I am not sure if Paul was adding a TOC entry or a link. But I have noticed that the embedded player does not list YouTube videos nor links, in the TOC. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

• @Carlos Coronel the feature request for YouTube entries to play in both players was marked as "On the roadmap" a while back. Not sure where it stands now, but I am excited to be able to advertise the feature now that we will be able to use it everywhere.

• Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid
    edited October 2020

Hi All, I reported this several months ago. The Panopto viewer plays youtube embedded videos. The Embeds player (when embedding Panopto videos in Canvas) does not play "youtube" videos embedded in the Panopto session. If you upload PDFs, they don't show up on the embeds player either.

At that time, Panopto support added my feature request for making both players consistent.

• Elba RiosElba Rios Whiz Kid
    edited March 2021

@Cait McCabe ,still, the "embedded" player in Canvas is not playing YouTube videos. Can you please provide update on this.

• Paul

I've gotten webpages and YouTube to work before in the same recording in the interactive viewer. Check your timings in the image you attached: You have the YouTube page and the webpage at the same time. Move one of them a few seconds either forward or back and apply the edits. It might work then. Having the 2 at the same time may have caused things to "burp."

Kevin Hartman, University at Buffalo

• Thanks Kevin, The embeds player in Canvas will skip right over the youtube videos. The contents icon to reveal other options is not intuitive for students. So, the Youtube video needs to play without "clicking" on the "youtube" timestamp.

• Correct, Panopto embeds won't playback YouTube links or webpages inserted in the editor. Hopefully this can be something that gets updated. We have a lot of faculty who prefer embeds over the interactive viewer.

• Caitlin McCabeCaitlin McCabe Administrator

Hi @Elba Rios,

I checked in with the Engineering team about this Feature Request, which is related to your inquiry above. They are actively working on it and plan to release it in the upcoming months.

Best wishes,

Cait

• @Cait McCabe , thanks for the update. Do you you know if PDFs will also be added to the embeds player features?

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Elba Rios The plan is that the embedded player will have all the features of the interactive (full tab) viewer eventually. I'm not sure on the timeline for PDFs though, as YouTube videos are a higher priority.

• @Kathryn . Thanks very much for this update. ☺️

• @Kathryn , Thank you for this update. :)