Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Custom captioning workflow

We are trying to develop a custom captioning workflow in Panopto to integrate an external billing and approval process. In the “order” button to request captions, would it be possible for a certain new order option to change it to a link with URL-based variables or send a post request (with variables) to an API endpoint? The variables we’d want: video ID/link, video title, duration, author, foldername (usually course info).

Tagged:

Answers

• You may be able to work with Panopto to implement your own caption provider. I am not sure if this would be something they would be willing to do, but it would likely give you everything you need.

Beyond what is available today, I would like to see this be something that is just built into the platform to manage billing and captioning in a more granular way. We are doing this through the folder approval workflow and just trusting that it is being used appropriately, but it would be amazing to be able to set up caption providers for a department in Panopto and have a request for approval go through like what happens with the publisher workflow.

I am not sure if you will be able to amend the Panopto interface (my guess would be probably not), but you could use the API to fill out a UI that you build for users to submit caption requests for their content. I have been looking at putting something together to make forced transcript alignment possible for sessions recorded with CART services in Zoom, but I don't have much available time as of late.

• Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee

Hi Alyssa,

We do not currently have a way to support that custom captioning workflow, but we are looking at adding additional public API endpoints related to captions and transcription in the future.

I would suggest contacting your organization's Customer Success Advocate at Panopto, and see if they can file a feature request for a custom caption workflow. This may be something we could consider adding in a future release.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin