Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.

bulk download videos

Lisa BrownLisa Brown Tyro
edited June 2023 in Feature Requests

Today, when you select multiple videos from the folder screen, you have the option to share, delete or move those videos.

Adding the ability to copy and download here would be a nice feature. I often am asked to help make copies of videos to share into other folders. It would be nice to be able to make the copies without having to go into settings for each video.

also, i have a faculty request to be able to download in bulk.

24 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Comments

• Request for the teacher creator of an assignments folder to be able to bulk download all uploaded student videos.
    Currently the download function is laborious individual video podcasts. Any teachers with dozens or hundreds of students would find this invaluable! :)
  • I believe admins should have the ability to copy in bulk already, additionally, I believe there is a user permission that allows for bulk options for all users. If my memory serves me correctly, that is something that Panopto Support needs to enable. Just like the V2 Canvas course copy tool, this setting is likely to substantially increase your site footprint. I am holding out hope that we will have a deep-copy option sooner than later to get the best of both worlds where content exists in across a number of folders, but it all feeds back to a source folder/course.

The bulk download question is interesting. In my mind this should work like an archival step where it provides you with all of the source files (PPT, captions, all Primary/Secondary, UCS info) so it could be reuploaded and work as a native session would. Along with that option, I would like to see the Unison upload workflow recognize these packages. I could also see something where it just gives you the podcast MP4.

• You don't have the option to copy multiple videos?

That's apparently limited to Panopto admins but can be enabled by Panopto at the site level.

Panopto - How to Copy and Move Videos: https://support.panopto.com/s/article/Batch-Copy-and-Move-Videos

Note: Batch copy is restricted by default to Administrators only because copying sessions affects Usage Hours. If you would like to change this setting to include all users with Creator rights, please contact Panopto Support.

Bulk (or even individual) downloading would be nice but I don't think they currently have a way to download all the streams and other files (like captions, pdfs, ppts, etc.) which may make up a presentation.

• I had someone ask for this feature today. Use cases so far would be:

• Saving videos for long-term storage due to document retention policies
    • Downloading MP4s to upload to another video hosting source for other sharing reasons (student showcase, portfolios).

Likely other use cases would apply here too.

• As far as I know we (Admins) are able to bulk copy but not bulk download. This is a great inconvenience. It is cumbersome to download hundreds of videos one at time.

• Any progress on this? We just had a workshop on this and the question came up "why don't you use Panopto for your video?" This was cited as the number one reason faculty are avoiding the platform. The like the ease of use it capturing video and are OK hosting their videos in Panopto, but editing, archiving, and updating content is too difficult.

• Any progress on this? We just had a workshop on this and the question came up "why don't you use Panopto for your video?" This was cited as the number one reason faculty are shunning the platform. The like the ease of use it capturing video and are OK hosting their videos in Panopto, but editing, archiving, and updating content is too difficult.