Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Copy folder contents

Hi, I have a root level folder which contains subfolders organized by users and then subfolders with sessions. I have tried using the settings manage tab for the original folder in order to create a backup copy before I share the sessions with the original creators. No content is copied over, neither subfolders or sessions. Is there a way to duplicate a root level folder to avoid any permission issues with newly assigned creators moving or deleting content?

Best Answer

• Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    Answer ✓

Gotcha, for this sort of thing we've found that making the recycle bin more well known has helped (https://support.panopto.com/s/article/Recycle-Bin-and-Permanently-Delete), in short, it provides a 90-day recovery window for any sessions that might've been deleted.

We give our users access to the recycle bin so they can restore their own content and we also use the Panopto departments feature to distribute access to local support folks within departments/colleges. You can also have it be admin only if you'd like. As an admin you are able to see everything that has been deleted, how long it has left in the recycle bin, where it was deleted from as well as who deleted it. It is a great feature.

Answers

• I don't believe there is a good way to make a 1:1 copy of a folder in its entirety (sessions, sub-folders, permissions). I was thinking that this might be possible through the SOAP API, but I'm not able to find an endpoint for copying sessions. That isn't to say that it doesn't exist, just that I am not able to find it if it does. I would also be curious what the goal is with this, I assume just to keep a backup copy of everything. If that is the case, you might be able to work with Panopto support to run a job to complete this.

Once custom roles are good to go you should be able to give users copy only permissions for select content, but that is not yet ready for production. On this note, I might suggest checking with support on if custom roles could be used with a limited scope.

• Thanks Michael. I am just trying to avoid granting someone creator access and then have them delete the session by mistake and I have no recourse to restore the session. It is an educational use and faculty members are known to accidentally delete content and then request a backup after the fact.

Thanks,

Tim