Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
At Panopto, we love how committed our customers are to making Panopto a better product - please feel free to share your feature ideas or vote on existing ideas in this category!

Before submitting a feature request, make sure to read our Guidelines & Expectations post

Once your idea is submitted, it will be marked as 'Tracked' when added to our internal feature requests system.
Options

User Group Management Flexibility Needed ASAP Please

Howdy! Re-posting now in proper place...

User Groups are very restricting in use in that:

a) Only the creator of the group can manage members

b) The "Group Owner/Creator" can not be transferred to anyone else - not even by admins....

Our production staff creating the groups often move from department to department and show to show, and need to hand off this capability to someone else to manage.

Request is for the ability to have more than 1 person manage a group, and also to AT LEAST allow the transfer of group ownership to someone else, even if this can only be done by an admin - I'd be happy to do it if it was possible, but it's not.

We really need to have the minimum of ownership transference implemented as soon as y'all could do that.

Thanks!

J.C. Cornwell

panopto admin

13 votes

Completed · Last Updated

The ability to transfer ownership of a group by an Admin was added in January 2022.

Comments

• Options

Hi,

While I understand there's logic behind being able to hide groups from the search directory but I think it shouldn't be locked down to users that are already members of the group. For example, I am a department admin for one of my departments which is given access to a group that I am in called Collaboration. While the rest of the company can't find the Collaboration group when trying to share videos, I being the department admin and a member of the group will need to constantly be sharing videos with the group so it would be good if I can search and find the group and share videos with them while the rest of the company who are not group members can't. The only options I have now is to make the group completely available which defeats the purpose of hiding it from non-group members in the first place or I have to share the video to the group members by searching for their names one at a time.

Another good idea would be to make the groups available to everyone by default and let the admins decide to hide them rather then the other way around.

Here's a link to a video that explains what I am facing

https://hubspot.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=a757ca9f-f116-4513-b9bb-aba2011d03a7

• Options
    edited November 2020

Howdy! Not sure exactly where to ask this so starting here.

User Groups are very restricting in use in that:

a) Only the creator of the group can manage members

b) The "Group Owner/Creator" can not be transferred to anyone else - not even by admins....

Our production staff creating the groups often move from department to department and show to show, and need to hand off this capability to someone else to manage.

Request is for the ability to have more than 1 person manage a group, and also to AT LEAST allow the transfer of group ownership to someone else, even if this can only be done by an admin - I'd be happy to do it if it was possible, but it's not.

We really need to have the minimum of ownership transference implemented as soon as y'all could do that.

Thanks!

J.C. Cornwell

panopto admin

• Options
    Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    edited November 2020

I 2nd this request. We are now looking at doing groups management in our IDP because the current workflow in Panopto just doesn't work at scale.

If we could assign groups to departments within Panopto and let department admins manage them, that would give us some of the flexibility we need, but pushing all of this on central administration is not sustainable.

• Options

This would be really useful. Currently, administering groups is tough. A bit more flexibility would help.

• Options

This came up again today at work... any progress on making this available? Thanks!

• Options

It's crazy to me that you can't transfer group ownership. We submit one or two support requests every semester to do so. It's also super frustrating that an authorized point of contact (POC) has to approve such a transfer. The group owner should always have the right to transfer.

• Options

Hey @Cait McCabe I believe the functionality to transfer group ownership for internal groups was part of the 1/8/2022 release.

• * Added the ability for the owner of an internal user group, or a Panopto administrator to change the owner of that user group.

I didn't actually realize this until earlier this week when I was testing group creation for another reason, but noticed an Edit button next to the Owner field. I know the OP was asking for more than just transfer, but maybe this is enough to mark this as Done and have a separate request for improved management by group members?

• Options
    KathrynKathryn Administrator

@Jaime Bermudez Yes, you are correct! Will mark this as complete as the main request in the original post was to transfer ownership.