Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

Where does chat go if Discussions are disabled

Hi,

I recently setup our Zoom integration for capturing Zoom events into Panopto. I know the Chat is meant to get pulled into the video discussion but Discussions on our system have been disabled by organisational decree. So what happens to them? Is it possible to access them somewhere and pull them out on an individual basis?

Answers

• Options

If I remember correctly, the Zoom chat transcript is saved as a file in the cloud recording. It would be a pain, but you could grab it from Zoom (as long as it is still there).

As far as what happens in Panopto, I would assume that it is added, but it isn't available as discussions are off. We have discussions on for all sessions by default, so I can't speak directly to the workflow that would be required to turn it back on for an individual session.

• Options
    KathrynKathryn Administrator

If discussions are turned off for your Panopto site, you would need to save the chat to Zoom and then download it from there. You can find instructions from Zoom on how to do that here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004792763-Saving-in-meeting-chat

If you still want to add the chat to the Panopto video, you could save the Zoom chat file as a PDF and attach that to the video (instead of using discussions): https://support.panopto.com/s/article/Attach-a-PDF-to-a-Video

• Options

I have been looking at this but for the other side of the scenario, where the chat comes through into the discussion from Zoom but it isn't relevant. If the discussion comments is turned off in the settings it hides all the chat, but it doesn't delete it as they will be there if discussion is turned on at a later stage. There is a bit of a delay however, of about an hour not sure how long.