Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

start a remote recorder specifying the owner user

Hello everybody

I’m searching a way via API to start/stop a recording using a remote recorder (wolfvision cynap) on behalf of another user.

What I would like to do is use an admin account to start a recording on a remote recorder installed in a classroom but setting as owner the teacher that is making the lesson.

I know that there is a method called UpdateSessionOwner, but it change the owner of a recording already stored on Panopto. I would like to start the recording with a different owner from the one is using the API method.

Thanks in advance

Mirko (University of Milan)

Best Answer

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Mirko,

You can use the IRemoteRecorderManagement.ScheduleRecording method to start a recording at the current time, or scheduled for a few seconds before the current time. This would have the same effect as starting an instant recording, and Panopto should start that recording immediately, if there is not another scheduled recording for that recorder that is currently conflicting. That method will return the session ID as well.

You should be able to update the owner while the session is recording.

In addition, you can use the IRemoteRecorderManagement.UpdateRecordingTime method to change the end time of the scheduled recording when the teacher clicks on the STOP button to be the current time, which should also immediately end the recording.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

Answers

• Options

Hi Mirko,

You should be able to use the UpdateSessionOwner endpoint to change the owner of a video that is scheduled or in progress and recording, as long as you have the session ID that the scheduled recording is using.

Are you starting the recording directly from the hardware, and if so, do you have a way to get the session ID? If you're creating the scheduled recording using the API as well, then the session ID should be returned to you in the response to the ScheduleRecording API endpoint.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Options

Hello Kevin

thanks a lot for your answer.

The recordings are not scheduled. The teacher starts the recording using a button on the classroom control touchpanel. We have to add code to the button in order to start the recording process.

With the API is there a method to start an instant recording without scheduling it?

If this method exists and returns the sessionID, as you wrote, it could be possible to change the owner with the recording in progress.

Following the process I would like to implement

• prerequisite 1: in panopto, all the cynaps installed in the classrooms are configured as remote-recorder accessible ONLY by administrators panopto users.
    • prerequisite 2: we want to manage all the recording process of lectures with a touchpanel (extron) available in the classroom
    • prerequisite 3: the touchpanel (and the control processor connected to the touchpanel) only knows the username of the teacher that is using the classroom (and not the password)
    • prerequisite 4: all the operation made by the touchpanel must be done with an admin account (that will be hardcoded on the touchpanel)
    • step 1: the teacher click on the recording button on the control touchpanel in the classroom
    • step 2: the touchpanel shows to the teacher the folders where he has creator rights
    • step 3: the teacher select in which of his folders wants to store the recording
    • step 4: the touchpanel runs the recording (on the remoterecorder cynap, otherwise it would be stored as admin), setting as owner the username of the teacher (updatesessionowner) and as destination folder the folder selected by the teacher
    • step 5: when the lesson is finished, the teacher click on the STOP button on the touchpanel
    • step 6: the touchpanel orders the stop of the recording on the remoterecorder

is it possible?

Bye

Mirko

• Options

Good news Kevin! Thanks a lot!

We will try and let you know!

Best!

Mirko

• Options

Hello Kevin

The solution you suggested has one issue: if I change the owner of the recording started through a Cynap Remote Recorder, then Cynap is not able to upload the recording to Panopto because changing the owner generate a new sessionID (not update on Cynap) and it seems that for this reason Panopto does not accept the upload. Is that possible?

It could be great if "IRemoteRecorderManagement.ScheduleRecording" would accept an additional parameter like "record on behalf of", used to specify to which user connect the recording.

Do you think it's possible to add this parameter? (I would really need it to let fnally our classroom works fine)

Thanks in advance

Mirko

• Options

Hi Mirko,

Calling the UpdateSessionOwner endpoint should not result in a new session ID, but should only update the existing session information. Is that function returning a different session ID, or did you mean the entire workflow from above, including the call to ScheduleRecording results in a new ID?

As for adding a new parameter, I don't know that we would want to pursue that with the ScheduleRecording call. Setting or changing the owner to someone other than the user who creates the session is limited to administrators only, and the ScheduleRecording endpoint is meant to be used by anyone who is a creator.

Please let me know if you're seeing a different session ID from calling UpdateSessionOwner, or if it's just the issue that there are two recordings created (one by the Cynap Remote Recorder, and one if you're manually calling ScheduleRecording).

Thanks,

Kevin

• Options

Hi Kevin

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer.

I forward it both to wolfvision develpers and to system integrator developers and I will let you know

Best!

Mirko