Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.
Options

how to get personal folder ID and subfolders through API

Good morning,

we started testing with Panopto's APIs.

Testing the call to receive the folder ID via search by name, some folders do not return any values.

For example, the call 

https://unimi.cloud.panopto.eu/Panopto/api/v1/[email protected] 

does not return any value. It seems that all the folders under "User" do not work, while the others return the ID with which it is possible to make subsequent calls.

I have tried with both the Client API-User Based Server Application and the Client-Server-Side Web Application.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once I have the Name, Surname and email of the user authenticated (in our case, through the RFID badge), I should propose the subfolders of the “personal folder” that have the same name as the email (in this case I would show him the subfolders of the folder name.surname@unimi.it )

I have been browsing the forum a bit and I think our case is similar to the one mentioned in this post https://community.panopto.com/discussion/1595/search-personal-folder-via-api

We have figured out a solution to this problem on a previous post in this forum.

In SOAP API, under SessionManagement endpoint, there is a method called GetPersonalFolderForUser, this takes in a Panopto User ID, and returns the personal folder of that user. There is also a parameter to create the personal folder if one does not exist.

In my case, I do not know the Panopto User ID to start with, so I have to make another Panopto API to resolve the username into Panopto User ID.

This is done using Panopto Public REST API, Search Users method. Put the username as the searchQuery. But be aware this is a search, not a "Get", so you will have to verify the results yourself, especially if the username you search could be a part of the text of other usernames, for example, if you search cli09, you will not only get back the user with username cli09, but also user with username like cli091.

Once I get the personal-folder-id, is it possible to get all the subfolders?

Can it work?

Do you have suggestions to share with us?

Thanks

Mirko

Best Answer

• Options
    Kevin BaumKevin Baum Panopto Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Mirko,

Yes, you can use the SOAP API to get the personal folder for a user as you described above. You will need to get the user's ID first to call that function, but it should return the folder ID of their personal folder, if they have one.

Once you have the ID of the user's personal folder, you can use the REST API to call the endpoint to get a list of children for a folder (api/v1/folders/{id}/children), which should give you a list of subfolders in that personal folder.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Kevin