Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Problem with animations in powerpoints

edited July 2022 in General Q&A

Hi there,

I have recorded a video with panopto and has not detected the animations in my powerpoints. Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Stine

Best Answers

• Kevin HartmanKevin Hartman Whiz Kid
    Answer ✓

Hi Stine,

It might be 1 of 2 things or both:

When you record, I think you need to select "Capture Main Screen", not "Capture PowerPoint." I think when you capture PPT or Keynote, Panopto is basically taking a picture of each slide. So if you're doing some transitions between slides or flying in bullet points or something like that, Panopto won't be capturing that. Again, I think. I'm not entirely sure.

If you're using Panopto for Windows, in the software's Advanced Settings, there is a checkbox for "Capture PowerPoint Animations as unique slides." According to https://support.panopto.com/s/article/Panopto-for-Windows-Advanced-Video-Settings#hTargetInstance2 this mean "When enabled, Panopto will capture a slide for each segment of a Powerpoint animation. Note: the entire animation with motion will still not be captured unless you choose to record the screen you are presenting on."

So I think that means if you check that box, and have animations revealing each bullet point, instead of seeing the animation, each bullet point will pop up in the recording instead of having the animation reveal it.

• KathrynKathryn Administrator
    Answer ✓

Just to confirm, Kevin is correct about these settings.

Selecting "Capture Powerpoint" in Panopto for Windows/Mac captures still images of each of your slides.

To capture movement on the screen including animations, transitions, or video, you would need to capture the screen that you are presenting on.

When in doubt, there is no harm in checking the boxes to record both options (Capture Main Screen and Powerpoint.)

Answers

• Hi Kathryn and Kevin,

Thanks for clarifying this! I guess this means that I cannot change it when the video has been recorded?

Dang :(

Well I'll check all boxes from now on :)

Best regards,

Stine