Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Unimpressed by basics so far... Signed up for Pro - No Support? Cannot Record Screen? Poor Encoding

Hello,

On the surface this seems like it may be a good fit for my small business, however since signing up for a pro account yesterday I am underwhelmed so far. Maybe a nice person here in the forum can help.

1. How does one go about getting support? I've dug into articles and forums and get pointed to links that don't exist. There is no phone number, doesn't seem like a chat support channel, no obvious email - just a developer feedback/feature request link. Subscription services that cost $$ need clearer and better paths to support.
  2. The reason I'm looking for support: Trying to use the Create-> record function in chrome. Presents a black screen. In Microsoft Edge, Blank Screen. Not going to download firefox. Looked in forums, looked on google, looked in support articles. These are all no help and really not intuitive in trying to find answers.
  3. Is the encoding quality of uploaded videos mediocre always, or is it a settings issue? Uploaded 4 videos taken from iPhone 11 Pro yesterday and when reviewing these I get poor quality, pixelation and tearing etc. The audio seems to also be out of sync with the video as the video progresses as well.
  4. What is the status of the automatic audio scanning and indexing for search. Is this something that is being actively improved upon or not? My testing has given mediocre performance misclassifying about 50% of spoken words in videos. This is one of the top couple features for our use as it could allow our very small workforce to be much more efficient.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris Anderson

Answers

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry that you are not having a positive initial experience. As a Pro user, you do have access to open support cases. You can follow the instructions here:

For the issues that you are experiencing with recording from your browser and uploading videos from your iPhone, I will open support tickets with the team for you right now.

The quality of the ASR search results can vary based on the quality of the audio recorded - background noise, talking volume, and the microphone level/direction can all have an impact. I'm sorry your results were not as expected. We recently made some improvements to ASR in Panopto, and now for my own videos I am generally seeing about 90% accuracy for ASR search results when recording from a laptop in a quiet room.

• Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for the quick response. I saw tickets opened on these items and will work through those.

One note of importance - that support link I have already followed and the indicated button/link on my support page does not exist. This is why I posted in the forum after looking elsewhere for ways to get in touch as well.

We'll keep working to see if we can control our end of things for best results on the ASR. I know it's complicated tech and actively being improved I was mainly wanting to see it being actively improved through your dev efforts.

Thank You,

Chris

• KathrynKathryn Administrator

Thanks for pointing that out! I just sent a message to our team to see if an updated workflow has been put into place for Pro users to open support tickets and if so, we'll get that doc updated right away!