Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Delay video release by one day

Has anyone had a request from faculty to do this for a class? This is the first time I have had this. My default is to give manual publish control and have their TA release the videos, but I can't see a way to set automatic capture to be delayed on recording. Has anyone else had this request and if so, how do you handle it?

Thanks!

Elaine

Answers

• It looks like you can modify it individually once scheduled. So a bit laborious to do it for 26 separate recordings, but possible to do it there. It would be nice to be able to do it globally when scheduling the recordings on the remote recorder in the first place.

• I have. A couple instructors wanted the videos to not be available for 24 hours and then some wanted them to become unavailable X days after recording.

I requested Panopto make this a setting which could be set when scheduling recordings but nothing has happened with it.

Since there is no way to do this automatically, I just set the instructors or TAs up as publishers and set the folder to require approval.

IIRC, you can delay release of a video until captions are available. In theory you could set the folder to automatically caption the videos with a third party and a 1 day turnaround. It would just cost you X minutes * $Y/minute * Z class periods.

60 minutes*$4*30=$7200. Seems like a reasonable solution to a fairly simple problem! 😉

• Yeah, we've had this come up a time or two where they want to delay publishing automatically by a specific timeframe from when it was recorded. I couldn't come up with anything better than giving them the publisher role and turning on the publish workflow for the folder.

Another option, if they don't want the emails to be sent to publishers, is to set up a sub-folder that students don't have access to, have them record to that, then have someone go in and move the video when they are ready to publish.

• Oh, that's a good idea. Too bad my faculty are spoiled and expect stuff to automatically happen. With this course there is currently no TA, so I'm going through the scheduled recordings and delaying availability to 6pm the following day.

Chaz, I'm going to see if I can find your request under features and bring it up again to see if we can get some movement on that one.

Elaine

• I wouldn't hold your breath, but good luck!

We're still waiting for a way to schedule recordings just by uploading a csv file to the site. I could do that in Echo360 and Mediasite almost a decade ago. I was told Panopto was working on it 4-5 years ago.

• Yeah, that's just one of many features I miss from the past....