Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Remote Recorders in the Classroom with Zoom

We are preparing for Fall. With that we are exploring installing remote recorders on some additional machines and getting some processes in place to automate recording through our SIS. We have a few departments that use it quite a bit, but there is a problem with applications fighting over resources.

Specifically, I am looking for a way to have the remote recorder give up the camera and microphone to Zoom when it is launched. We have a workaround for current departments where you launch the Panopto for Windows app before Zoom so the remote recorder gives up the devices, but if we were to go for a larger roll out this wouldn't work. It would just be great if we could have Zoom do the same thing by itself.

If anyone has any recommendations on getting this done, I would be all ears!

Thank you,

Michael

Best Answers

Answers

• @Dave Hannan - Hey Dave, it's great to hear from you! I remember seeing something about the preview some time ago, but I couldn't remember if it was a hidden setting or a config item. This could work for our wide need, but it wouldn't solve it for our existing installs as they all use preview quite a bit. That being said, they are OK where they are at for now. I am going to do some testing with it, but will this still send out the notifications if the RR is disconnected or if a source isn't able to start for the recording? I imagine it would, but that would be a non-starter.

@Charles Barbour - Thank you for that feedback! I didn't even think about adding a script on the desktop for this. I would hate to stop the services and have it miss a recording, but with enough testing that could be a great solution.

• Dave HannanDave Hannan Administrator

@Michael Espey Please test to make sure, but the disconnected notification should work as we're just stopping the preview, not removing the device.

• @Dave Hannan does this option let Panopto recordings run while Zoom is in use (Teams in our case)? Or does this just allow use of the UC client when Panopto is not recording without the preview conflict?

• Dave HannanDave Hannan Administrator

Hi Zak - Great question! It's the latter. Disabling preview in the remote recorder allows for a UC tool (Teams/Zoom/Webex) to be used when the remote recorder is idle. Resource content over a single webcam is more of a problem at the OS lever that we're just trying to workaround. Thanks. -Dave