Welcome to the Panopto Community

Please note: All new registrants to the Panopto Community Forum must be approved by a forum moderator or admin. As such, if you navigate to a feature that is members-only, you may receive an error page if your registration has not yet been approved. We apologize for any inconvenience and are approving new members as quickly as possible.

Support Canvas "Homework Submission" LTI 1.3 placement

It would be much better if we were able to have students submit media using the native Canvas selector that is intended for this sort of thing. Since the launch can only happy if an assignment is configured to accept submissions in this way, when the first launch happens, an assignment folder should be created for that assignment and all student submissions (selected, uploaded, or recorded) should be funneled to this new location without the option to select another target folder.

This combination would remove the guesswork (in many cases)/setup that currently needs to happen for both instructors and students and would provide students with a much more consistent experience across classes when submitting materials through Panopto in Canvas.

5 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Panopto's Canvas integration now supports the Student Submission workflow that our other LMS integrations support. A faculty member no longer has to manually create an assignment folder, and students can use the Panopto embed tool from the Rich Content Editor to gain Creator access to create a video in Panopto. For more information on how Panopto has addressed the feature request, please see https://support.panopto.com/s/article/Learn-About-Panopto-Student-Video-Submission-For-D2L-Blackboard-Ultra-and-Moodle

Comments

• When Panopto Capture first rolled out I suggested one great use case would be for creating assignments.

The instructor creates an assignment in Panopto and specifies the destination, whether they want to allow multiple attempts, minimum and maximum length, etc.

Then they could get a link which could be shared with their students either within the LMS or externally.

When student click on the link, they only need to grant access to the camera/mic/screen, hit record (and/or retry), and submit.

Their name, attempt number, and assignment name would be pre-filled in the title. Since the destination folder was already configured and unchangeable, there was nothing else they needed to do.

Capture could be a great tool for student submissions if they just finished developing it.

• This suggestion would remove the errors that we often see when students upload video content to the wrong Panopto folder as part of a Canvas assignment. This would be a great improvement on the current system.

• This would help us on Brightspace/D2L as well.

• edited April 11

The Canvas Assignment Tool workflow for submitting a Panopto video should be smoother. When an instructor creates their first Panopto (give me a video) type Assignment, that action should create the Assignment Folder in the course if it does not already exist. Additionally all students who submit videos to this assignment should never have to search for where to save their video submissions. It should be saved into the assignment folder where the teachers can view it, but other students cannot automatically view it.  If every time a student in Canvas submitted a WORD or PDF file assignment, they had to also use pulldown menus and find a specific folder to save it to, it would be a support nightmare. A Panopto Video submission Assignment in Canvas should work as seamlessly as a Canvas File submission Assignment.

• Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar

I am not sure who the correct person to take this up at Panopto would be, but this shouldn't have been marked as completed. The feature that was rolled out with v.15 did not accomplish the goal of making the submission process any easier, in fact, I think it made it made the whole process a lot less clear for the students and for the instructors.

As always, I am happy to chat more about this if there is someone at Panopto that wants to hear the feedback.

• Can you explain why you feel it is worse? We don't make a "My Folder" for students by default. In our testing, now students can use Panopto in discussions and in assignments in the text editor even if the instructor just asked them to "submit video" without mentioning Panopto - the instructor does not need to manually make a Panopto "assignment folder" and the students don't need to understand what location to save videos into - it just goes to an auto-created folder in the course and users do not need to know how it all works, which I think is better since no one is willing to read complicated instructions.

• Michael EspeyMichael Espey Superstar
    edited July 5

When a user chooses to save a video somewhere, they expect to find it there. I for one definitely don't want the expected functionality be to place it somewhere to start, it moves somewhere else at some point in the process, then I have to go copy it back to the original location if I want to retain access to it (which the Panopto guide for this in other LMSs suggests).

Taking a step back, it also just objectively isn't what I was asking for in the feature request. I was specifically asking for the LTI 1.3 "homework_submission" placement so it was an end-to-end solution, not this roundabout thing repurposing the RCE placement. If there is a better and more controlled way of handling the user interaction…why not start moving in that direction? When we had Kaltura, we had issues with their homework submission workflow. It copied things around behind the scenes and orphaned media like this does and it just ended up confusing people. If the process was structured and purpose built for just submitting homework and the "where" was out of the user's control/view (if they were never given the option to save the video somewhere specific), I would have no real issues here.

My last major problem with this solution is that it saves everything into a single folder for the course. We have some courses that have hundreds of students which would be submitting videos for multiple different assignments. This just isn't going to work for them, and if I turn this option on for our site, there is no way to keep it from merging things together if I'm reading the documentation correctly.

Most users will be fine with how this works, sure, but that was true of what we had before. If I turn this on, workflows that worked well for users previously will no longer function if I'm reading things correctly.